Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 12:00 (UK)

12 July 2019 Venue West Street, Winterton Attendance

Kick off 12:00 (UK)

Scunthorpe United
1 - 3
Sheffield Wednesday U18
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Iron U18s 1-3 Sheffield Wednesday U18s

12 July 2019

Harry Jessop was on target as United’s Under-18s faced Sheffield Wednesday in their latest pre-season friendly at West Street, Winterton.

Cameron Wilson had the first chance of the afternoon, sending a volley just wide from the edge of the area on three minutes.

Three minutes later, there was another opportunity for the Iron as Fin Shrimpton sent the ball in. Luca Chadli shot but the goalkeeper saved and it went out for a corner, which was then cleared.

With eight minutes on the clock, Wilson shot from outside the area after receiving the ball from Levi Gallimore, but the goalkeeper saved.

Soon after, the ball came to Levi Gallimore on the edge of the box again, who took on two men and sent in a left-footed shot but it was saved by the goalkeeper.

In the 11th minute, the Owls attacked the left-side of the Iron box but Tom Collins came out to avert the danger, and the ball went out for a corner, which was then cleared.

A minute after, the visitors took the lead as one of their strikers fired in from the edge of the box.

Scunthorpe were soon level on 18 minutes though. Following an Owls goal-kick, Charlie Barks headed the ball all the way back towards the danger zone. Two visiting players got mixed up and it fell to Jessop, who steered the ball into the bottom right-hand corner.

Collins was called into action immediately after, making a save as a corner was whipped in and an Owls player sidefooted a shot towards goal.

With 28 minutes gone, Chadli, on the left-wing, crossed the ball in to Jessop, who chested the ball down and had a shot but it went over the crossbar.

Soon after, Levi Gallimore received the ball from outside the box, and shot over the crossbar.

As 40 minutes passed, Raynner Silva fired a shot from the edge of the 18-yard box, which was blocked away by an Owls defender.

United were forced into their first chance in the 42nd minute, as Patrick Virgo came on for Wilson.

There were two more chances as the first-half drew to a close. Firstly, Collins saved well after the Owls’ No 7 fizzed an effort from outside the box. Then, Silva received the ball on the edge of the box but sent his shot over the crossbar.

There were two second-half alterations as Silva and Levi Gallimore were replaced by Joey Dawson and Alex Wilkinson.

The Owls took an early second-half lead though as a throughball was sent through and a striker fired beyond the Iron goalkeeper into the net.

United looked to get back into it, and the visitors attacked down the right-hand side, sending the ball across the goalmouth, but there was no-one there to convert home.

The Owls attacked down the right and then cut inside into the box, and squared to a player, whose effort was blocked by Dawson (who had to receive medical treatment) before the ball came to Collins, who tipped around the post.

On 70 minutes, the Iron attacked down the left-side of the box through Chadli, but his effort went straight into the goalkeeper’s hands.

A further change was made in the 74th minute as Barks and Chadli were replaced by Silva and Gallimore.

United had a penalty shout denied two minutes later as Gallimore came into the box from the left and went down, but it was not given.

Soon after, Shrimpton attacked and sent the ball looking for Virgo, but it went out for a corner, which was cleared.

United then won a corner and the goalkeeper spilled the cross that was sent in before any Iron player could get there and he gathered.

In the 83rd minute, Virgo went on a mazy run towards the box and passed to Wilkinson, whose shot was blocked.

There was a final change as Chadli came back on for Shrimpton.

The Iron’s final chance came in the dying stages as they won a corner, which Levi Gallimore took, and then Virgo flicked up and tried to volley in but it went out for a goal-kick.

Academy manager Tony Daws said: "It was a great game for the lads. We competed very well and certainly in the first-half gave a good account of ourselves."

Collins, Baker, Lobley, D Gallimore, Barks (Silva, 74), Silva (Dawson, 45), Wilson (Virgo, 42), Shrimpton (Chadli, 88), Jessop, L Gallimore (Wilkinson, 45), Chadli (L Gallimore, 74).

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account