Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 18:00 (UK)

15 July 2019 Venue Newcastle United Academy Attendance

Kick off 18:00 (UK)

Newcastle United U18
4 - 3
Scunthorpe United
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Newcastle United U18s 4-3 Iron U18s

15 July 2019

Harry Jessop scored a brace to make it four goals in three pre-season matches, while Fin Shrimpton scored the goal of the game, as the Iron’s Under-18s were narrowly edged out in an end-to-end thriller away at a strong Newcastle United team.

Academy manager Tony Daws said: "It was a great opportunity for our players to play against a Premier League club's youth team.

"Our boys have learnt a lot from the experience and this will help our players' development in the months to come."

In the opening seconds, there was an early save for Tom Collins to make as a left-winged cross dropped to a Magpie player. The shot from inside the six-yard box was saved from point blank range and hooked clear by Shrimpton.

Minutes later, Newcastle’s right winger drove forward before looking to cut a low cross across goal. Charlie Barks was brilliantly positioned though to clear.

On eight minutes, a corner went deep, with a Magpies player peeling away at the back post volleying his effort well over the bar.

Scunthorpe attacked and won a couple of corners before a fine save was made from Collins, as he came out to meet the onrushing left winger, sprawling at his feet to gather the ball.

End-to-end play continued in the 18th minute as the ball moved down the Iron left before it was cut back to Shrimpton making a perfectly timed run. His strike was sweet and low, forcing the ‘keeper into a smart stop, gathering the ball at the second attempt.

With 21 minutes gone, there was a good chance for the Iron as Barks played the ball over the top for Shrimpton. He rolled the ball across the area but the Newcastle ‘keeper made a good save from close range following the shot from Jessop.

Dan Gallimore then attacked towards the right. He found space for a cross, which was teed up for Chadli by Levi Gallimore, but he couldn’t get a shot away.

The hosts grabbed the lead on 28 minutes following a smart finish on the left of the area, with the effort drilled across goal and into the far corner of the net.

The Iron looked to respond straight away with Patrick Virgo working the ball down the left, breaking the offside trap, before Jessop was snuffed out inside the box.

Two minutes later, Collins made a comfortable save, as he plucked a 12-yard effort out of the air following play down the left channel.

Great defending prevented a second for the home team, as a Newcastle forward was adjudged to be onside. Shrimpton slid in inside the area to win the ball, before he launched himself at the goalbound shot to turn an effort behind for a corner.

There was brilliance from Harry Jessop in the 38th minute as he restored parity for the Iron. Moments earlier he was blocked off as he looked to drive through but this time he picked up the ball, drove past four men and slotted the ball home.

Confidence from the Iron grew as Raynner Silva turned the ball around the corner for Chadli. He floated the ball in for Shrimpton who looked to hold it up for Levi Gallimore but the home defence stayed strong.

The 41st minute saw great football from the Iron as Silva and Virgo exchanged passes on the edge of the box on numerous occasions before Silva saw his 25-yard shot blocked. The latter ball across the box skipped wide for a goal kick.

The hosts restored their lead just before half-time through opportunism from the home striker who seized on a loose ball to slot into the net.

There was then a fine save from Collins from point blank range as he palmed away a first-time effort before Lobley headed clear.

The second-half saw an early attack for the Iron as Levi Gallimore crossed. Chadli picked the ball up and crossed again, but just missed the head of Jessop.

On 48 minutes, there was nearly a third for the hosts as play went down the left. The Magpies player drove into the area and cut back to eight yards out where the powerful effort cannoned back into play off the bar.

Shrimpton then saw an effort from the edge of the box saved comfortably by the home shot stopper following more good play from the Iron.

The 55th minute saw a penalty shout turned down for the Iron as Levi Gallimore received the ball on the right, drove into the area and went down. Nothing was given by the referee though.

There was then a smart save by the home goalkeeper as play was shifted to Chadli on the left. He took on his defender before a near post shot was pushed around the post for a corner. The subsequent set-piece was played short before the Iron maintained possession. Levi Gallimore ended up driving a shot over the bar from the right side of the area.

The 61st minute saw a smart save from the home ‘keeper as he just about managed to push the ball over the bar as the ball threatened to drop into the net. Then, Barks produced a last ditch tackle as the hosts looked destined to double their advantage. He chased back from the Iron’s corner to slide in just as the forward looked to pull the trigger.

Two minutes later, Scunthorpe were rewarded as Jessop steered home the equaliser for the Iron. The ball found Chadli on the left following good work from Virgo. His shot was blocked, falling into Jessop’s path following a ricochet, with his effort rolling beyond the ‘keeper.

Newcastle retook the lead in the 67th minute after gaining possession in midfield. The ball over the top broke the offside trap, with the ball slotted into the corner despite the best efforts of Barks to get back to block the effort.

There was a fine save from Collins in the 73rd minute as Newcastle attacked down the right before a low cross met the advancing striker making a perfectly timed run. He looked to have rolled the ball home, only for the Iron ‘keeper to deny him.

They added a fourth three minutes after, as the ball was played across the area from left to right. A home attacker controlled, sidestepping the covering defender and slotting into the corner.

With ten minutes left, there was good defending from Kemp as he slid in before finding Virgo. The ball over the top searched for Wilkinson, who almost shrugged off the defender as he surged through.

As the clock struck 86 minutes, the goal of the day came from Shrimpton. Jessop looked to work an opening himself but he was tackled. The ball then dropped to Shrimpton 25-yards from goal. First-time, he curled an effort which floated into the top right corner.

The Iron pushed forward for an equaliser with what little time remained, with a low cross from the left just evading the Iron runner.

IRON: Collins, Baker, Lobley (Barks, 80), D Gallimore (Dawson, 60), Barks (Kemp, 71), Dawson (Virgo, 20), Shrimpton (D Gallimore, 88), Jessop, L Gallimore (Wilkinson, 60), Wilkinson (Silva, 20), Chadli.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account