Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 11:00 (UK)

31 August 2019 Venue Unavailable Attendance

Kick off 11:00 (UK)

Grimsby Town U18
1 - 0
Scunthorpe United U18
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Grimsby Town U18s 1-0 Iron U18s

31 August 2019

Grimsby Town scored an 87th minute winner, proving to be harsh on the Iron as they lost 1-0 in their latest Youth Alliance League fixture.

Academy manager Tony Daws said: "We're disappointed with our performance this week, as we didn't really get into the game until the second-half, where we showed more of what is required to progress. Overall, we didn't do enough as a team."

On eight minutes, Harry Jessop showed great strength near the by-line to shrug off two Grimsby defenders. He managed to hook a ball into the box, but the home ‘keeper palmed the ball to safety.

Levi Gallimore and Jessop soon played a neat one-two, and the former won the Iron a free-kick 25-yards from goal. Luca Chadli took, but it was blocked and cleared by the home side.

The home side had a free-kick on the edge of the Iron box, after Charlie Barks stopped a Grimsby forward. The resulting free kick then sailed harmlessly over the bar.

A cross was then sent in from the right-hand side and was defended well by Barks, who won a free-kick and the attack consequently broke down.

The Iron then had a free-kick from the right-hand side. Chadli sent in a teasing cross in the direction of Jessop, who slid in, but the home centre-back hacked it clear.

There was then a chance for the home side as Grimsby counter-attacked quickly through the number nine. He charged at the heart of the Iron defence, and the ball fell to a winger, before his effort brushed the outside of the post.

The home side almost took the lead on the stroke of half-time, as the Grimsby man checked on to his left and fizzed an effort across the face of goal, and wide of the right post.

The second-half saw an early chance for the Iron. Cameron Wilson drove forward before laying off to Dan Gallimore, who found Jessop, but the striker’s shot was blocked for a corner and cleared by the home side.

The positive start continued as the Iron had a free-kick from the right side. Chadli sent in a deep cross but the home side were there once again to head clear.

On 51 minutes, Dan Gallimore played a brilliant defence-splitting ball through for Jessop to chase, but the striker only just missed out to the home defender.

The home side then had a great chance up the other end, with the striker firing over from point blank range.

After 66 minutes, substitute Patrick Virgo dispossessed a Grimsby midfielder in the Iron half, driving forward and turning defence into attack. He laid the ball off to Jessop, but the move eventually broke down and the home side cleared.

On 68 minutes, a Grimsby Town corner was floated to the back post and fell to a man on the edge of the area. He rifled a strike towards goal but Barks bravely headed clear, preventing an almost certain goal.

Eight minutes later, the home side had a low strike from 25 yards that narrowly evaded Collins’ far post.

Soon after, Finley Shrimpton drove into the Grimsby half, finding Levi Gallimore with a searching ball. The striker latched on, but was tackled inside the box before he had the chance to pull the trigger.

The hosts broke the deadlock in the 87th minute as a striker broke down the left side and squared to a black and white shirt, who tapped home.

In the fourth minute of stoppage time, a goalmouth scramble right before the referee’s final whistle saw the ball strike a Grimsby Town hand, but the referee waved away the penalty claims.

IRON: Collins, Baker, Lobley (Wilkinson, 28), Shrimpton, Barks, Kemp, Wilson (Virgo, 58), D Gallimore, L Gallimore, Jessop, Chadli.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account