Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 11:00 (UK)

27 October 2018 Venue Unavailable Attendance

Kick off 11:00 (UK)

Oldham Athletic U18
1 - 1
Scunthorpe United U18
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Oldham Athletic U18s 1-1 Iron U18s

27 October 2018

The Iron’s Under-18s team drew 1-1 at Oldham Athletic on Saturday morning in their final group match of the Youth Alliance Cup, cementing their place in the quarter-finals.

Club News

Iron U18s in FA Youth Cup First Round this Wednesday night

31 October 2018

As a result, United have finished top of their group and can’t be caught.

Scunthorpe started the game well and Harry Jessop let fly with an effort from 25 yards out, which the goalkeeper held on to.

For the next 15 minutes, the game was mostly played out in midfield with not much going on in either box - apart from, on 13 minutes, when a well-worked corner saw Finley Shrimpton get around the back of the defence. Hit shot was on target but the goalkeeper saved it.

In the 25th minute, Tom Pugh sent a shot goalwards which the goalkeeper tipped over and at this point United were on top, playing good football and keeping possession.

Oldham had their first chance of the game soon after when they counter-attacked and Sam Riches managed to snuff out the centre-forward.

Both sides cancelled each other out until 43 minutes when Scunthorpe won the ball back after pressing Oldham well. A good little bit of interplay found Aiden Train, who crossed from the left wing and it was met by Miracle Okafor, who headed back across the goalkeeper and into the top corner from eight yards.

United made changes at half-time with one eye on the FA Youth Cup first round game against AFC Telford United on Wednesday.

On 47 minutes, Oldham came out strongly and won a free-kick, which flew just past the post.

A minute later, United manufactured a well-worked corner. The ball ricocheted in the area and eventually Oldham cleared it off the line.

Soon after, Jessop went on a good run, beating three players before dragging his effort wide.

Oldham counter-attacked in the 57th minute, and their shot from the edge of the box was tipped around the post for a corner by Riches.

Ten minutes later, the hosts won a free-kick on their wide left in the final third. They then won a short corner, and the ball was crossed into the box and an Oldham player finished at the near post and into the corner of the net to equalise.

Then, Oldham started looking for a winner and had a succession of shots on target with Riches saving well - including an outstanding stop on 76 minutes after some sloppy defending.

Moments later, Louis Collins worked an opening and got into the box but his shot sailed over the crossbar.

Shortly after, an Oldham inswinging corner managed to evade everybody and went out of play off the far post.

With around 10 minutes left, United got a free-kick wide-right in the final third, with Jessop whipping the ball in with his left foot. The ball ricocheted around the box but Oldham managed to clear.

In the 82nd minute, Jessop dribbled past three players and shot from 25 yards. His effort hit the post and the hosts managed to clear. The game then petered out.

A draw was a fair reflection of the game, with United dominating the first half and Oldham getting more on top in the second. It was overall a good performance, which keeps the unbeaten run going for five games and sees the team in good spirits ahead of Wednesday night’s FA Youth Cup game.

Iron team: Riches, Shrimpton, Train (Wilkinson, 46), Pugh (Wilson, 46), Barks (Harrison, 46), Morfoot, Gallimore, Jessop, L Collins, Okafor, Silva.

Substitutes not used:Crosher.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account