Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

05 July 2022 Venue Canalside Training Complex Attendance

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

Huddersfield Town U23s
2 - 2
Scunthorpe United
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Huddersfield Town U23s 2-2 Iron

5 July 2022

The Iron drew 2-2 away at Huddersfield Town's Under-23s on Tuesday afternoon, with Andrew Boyce and Liam Feeney twice levelling the scores.

Most importantly, 11 players received at least 60 minutes of important game time during the second week of pre-season.

In the first minute, Joe Nuttall lead the press and almost caught the home goalkeeper Acquah out, but he managed to shift the ball away just as the Iron frontman arrived.

The first corner of the game went to Huddersfield in the third minute. From the delivery, Andrew Boyce ended up in a heap on the floor with a Terriers player, and the Iron came away with possession and looked to break on halfway with Feeney.

Soon after, Joe Bunney threaded the ball on the right side and sent in a cross which veered towards goal and dropped just beyond the far post for a goal kick.

On six minutes, the Iron pressed high again and won possession close to the penalty area. Nuttall looked to combine with Feeney inside the box but the home defence intercepted.

Just a minute later, Mumbongo slotted the hosts into the lead after being fed the ball on a plate with a square ball from the left side.

Scunthorpe looked to respond and two minutes later, Feeney cut in from the left and sent an in-swinging cross towards goal. Bunney challenged and looked to get in between the defender and goalkeeper, but Acquah managed to gather.

Shortly after, Whitehouse was hacked down on the right channel, leading to a free-kick which was whipped in by Feeney and met by Boyce with a header that went narrowly wide.

Then, the hosts gained possession and attacked, with a left-footed effort from 25-yards saved by Owen Foster. Not long after, Jalloh wriggled free of a challenge before cueing a 30-yard effort wide of goal.

At the other end, the Iron went forward from the goal kick, with Nuttall having a long range effort go across goal and wide.

With 19 minutes gone, Alfie Beestin spread play to Jai Rowe who then found Feeney on the right. He played a one-two inside the box with Beestin before his low cross was turned behind for what should have been a corner, but a goal kick was somehow awarded.

Midway through the opening half, the Iron won a free-kick on the left wing, which Feeney curled into the box. The ball cannoned back into play off the post before Huddersfield get the ball clear.

Four minutes after, Feeney latched onto a ball over the top from Foster on the left side. He cut inside and found Whitehouse, who saw his shot blocked before Jack Moore-Billam got himself into a small pocket of space in the area, seeing his effort go over.

With 31 minutes played, Feeney and Kgosi Ntlhe combined on the left side, with the latter seeing his cross charged down for a corner.

From the resultant corner, Feeney picked out Boyce, who planted his header across goal and into the far corner of the net.

After 34 minutes, Moore-Billam drove forward and was fouled for the umpteenth time in this half, which results in a word from the referee to the Terriers skipper, Midgley.

With five minutes of the opening half left, Feeney took a free-kick from the left, with the ball going across the goal. George Taft chased and took the ball clear of his marker before sending in a measured cross for Bunney, who glanced his header narrowly wide of the goal.

On 52 minutes, Huddersfield were awarded a penalty as one of their players was brought down in the area. Mumbongo sent Foster the wrong way to put the hosts back in front.

Just four minutes later though, Scunthorpe were level when Feeney scored his second goal of pre-season. Boyce’s through ball put Nuttall in the clear, but he unselfishly squared play to Feeney to give him an open goal to slot home.

After a raft of changes on the hour mark, Addy was denied by Foster for the hosts as he got clear from the left and thrashed a shot on target.

With 64 minutes gone, Sam Peplow’s corner was cleared but the ball was maintained with Lewis and Wilson combining down the right. The latter cut onto his right foot and saw his shot deflected and then saved.

Six minutes later, Dan Gallimore won back possession before Hallam shaped to shoot on the edge of the box. Instead he teed up Peplow, with a curling 20-yard effort flying narrowly wide of the target.

Harry Lewis saw his effort from the left side of the area saved on 75 minutes after he was slipped into the area by Mason O’Malley.

In the 78th minute, Peplow picked up the loose ball, steamed down the right wing and cut the ball back to Wilson. His shot was deflected wide for a corner.

There proved to be no further chances as the game ended level.

IRON: Foster, Rowe (Gallimore, 60), Boyce, Taft (Shrimpton, 60), Ntlhe, Whitehouse (Cribb, 74), Beestin (Peplow, 60), Moore-Billam (O'Malley, 60), Bunney (Hallam, 60), Feeney (Wilson, 60), Nuttall (Lewis, 60).

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account