Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

17 November 2020 Venue Vale Park Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Preview: Port Vale (A)

17 November 2020

The Iron are back in League Two action again on Tuesday night when they visit Port Vale (7pm kick-off).

Club News

iFollow passes on sale ahead of Port Vale away - let's pass the 500 mark

17 November 2020


The game at Vale Park, rearranged after originally being postponed a fortnight ago, will see United looking to make it two league wins in a row following Saturday's confidence-boosting 2-0 away success at Oldham Athletic.

After absorbing some early pressure, a Scunthorpe side that saw eight changes from the previous league game went on to dominate and could have won by more than two goals in the end. Jacob Bedeau and Kevin van Veen scored the decisive strikes.

The Valiants sit eighth in League Two, and could go as high as third in the table with victory in their game in hand this midweek, but were beaten 4-3 by Tranmere Rovers at home last weekend. They were down to 10 men from the 52nd minute when Luke Joyce was sent off.


Tom Conlon, David Amoo and Devante Rodney got Vale's goals in that particular match, but they were hit by sucker punches from Rovers in the third and sixth minutes of stoppage time to see three points snatched away.

It was their second home loss in succession, following a 1-0 home defeat to King's Lynn in the Emirates FA Cup first round the previous week, so John Askey's side will enter the match eager to return to winning ways.

Before that, they'd won their last three league games - 2-0 away at Southend through a Tom Pope brace, 2-1 at home to Cheltenham thanks to Leon Legge and David Worrall and 2-1 at Oldham thanks to Nathan Smith and Mitch Clark.

The Valiants met Scunthorpe earlier in the season in the Carabao Cup first round back at the start of September, and were 2-1 winners thanks to debut goals from Zak Mills and Theo Robinson in stoppage time of both halves. Ryan Loft scored a debut strike for United that afternoon.

In the scoring charts, they have four players on two league strikes - Conlon, Mark Cullen, Pope and Rodney. Goalkeeper Scott Brown, defender Legge and midfielder Worrall top the appearance tallies with 11 starts apiece.


Saturday's win saw returns to action for several Iron players, who will be assessed with Tuesday's game coming around so quickly.

Jordan Clarke, who hadn't appeared since the 2-2 draw at Bradford City last January, played 90 minutes before being substituted late on.

It was Junior Brown's first appearance in the league since January too, with the left-back playing the full game, while winger Abo Eisa also returned to the team for the first time since October 20th after a chest muscle tear.

Elsewhere, Kevin van Veen played more than 80 minutes as he continued his return from a three-month long knee injury lay-off. It was his first league appearance since March.

United have central defender Tyler Cordner back available again after he served a one-match suspension at the weekend following his red card against Solihull Moors in the Emirates FA Cup first round.

Harrison McGahey returns to the club on Tuesday and could come into contention to be in the squad that takes on the Valiants.

Jake Taylor misses out on facing his former loan club as he has to self-isolate for 14 days after coming into contact with somebody who has tested positive for COVID-19.

On-loan midfielder Frank Vincent has returned to parent club Bournemouth for treatment, and looks set to be out for two months with a thigh strain. 

Speaking after the weekend's game, first team manager Neil Cox confirmed Aaron Jarvis missed out through a sore hamstring and though the club are waiting for a full prognosis, he will likely be out until after next Tuesday's home match against Bolton.


Back in February, United twice came from behind to gain a point at Vale Park in the league, with Alex Gilliead and George Miller notching the goals.

In total, the two sides have met on 45 occasions with 14 wins apiece. The remaining 17 games have all been draws.

2020-21 - Sat 5 Sep LG CUP R1 Iron 1-2 Vale Loft
2019-20 - Sat 29 Feb LG 2 Vale 2-2 Iron Gilliead, Miller
2019-20 - Sat 22 Nov LG 2 Iron 2-1 Vale van Veen, Ntlhe
2016-17 - Sat 27 Jan LG 1 Iron 3-2 Vale Morris (pen), Toney, Hopper
2016-17 - Sat 27 Aug LG 1 Vale 3-1 Iron Morris
2015-16 - Sat 30 Apr LG 1 Iron 1-0 Vale Madden
2015-16 - Sat 12 Dec LG 1 Vale 1-1 Iron King
2014-15 - Tue 14 Apr LG 1 Iron 1-1 Vale Wootton
2014-15 - Tue 21 Oct LG 1 Vale 2-2 Iron Bishop, Taylor
2009-10 - Tue 22 Sep LG CUP R3 Iron 2-0 Vale Hayes, McCann
2006-07 - Mon 1 Jan LG 1 Vale 0-0 Iron  
2006-07 - Tue 12 Sep LG 1 Iron 3-0 Vale Sharp (2), Morris
2005-06 - Tue 28 Feb LG 1 Vale 1-2 Iron Sparrow, Taylor
2005-06 - Sat 10 Sep LG 1 Iron 2-0 Vale Hinds, Keogh
1985-86 - Mon 3 Feb DIV 4 Vale 3-1 Iron Graham
1985-86 - Tue 22 Oct DIV 4 Iron 0-0 Vale  
1984-85 - Fri 10 May DIV 4 Iron 3-3 Vale Graham, Broddle, Cammack
1984-85 - Sat 22 Dec DIV 4 Vale 1-1 Iron Graham
1983-84 - Tue 17 Apr DIV 3 Iron 1-1 Vale Bell
1983-84 - Sat 27 Aug DIV 3 Vale 0-0 Iron  
1982-83 - Mon 9 May DIV 4 Vale 0-1 Iron Cowling
1982-83 - Tue 2 Nov DIV 4 Iron 1-0 Vale Cammack
1981-82 - Sat 17 Apr DIV 4 Vale 2-1 Iron Cammack
1981-82 - Sat 5 Dec DIV 4 Iron 0-0 Vale  
1980-81 - Tue 3 Mar DIV 4 Vale 2-2 Iron Partridge, Cammack
1980-81 - Tue 24 Feb DIV 4 Iron 1-1 Vale Cammack
1979-80 - Sat 5 Apr DIV 4 Iron 1-0 Vale Pilling
1979-80 - Wed 26 Dec DIV 4 Vale 1-0 Iron  
1978-79 - Tue 27 Mar DIV 4 Iron 2-0 Vale Grimes, Earl
1978-79 - Sat 19 Aug DIV 4 Vale 2-2 Iron Wigg, Pilling
1972-73 - Sat 24 Feb DIV 3 Iron 0-1 Vale  
1972-73 - Sat 16 Dec DIV 3 Vale 2-0 Iron  
1969-70 - Mon 23 Mar DIV 4 Vale 1-2 Iron Cassidy (2)
1969-70 - Sat 22 Nov DIV 4 Iron 2-1 Vale Heath, Sproson (og)
1968-69 - Sat 5 Apr DIV 4 Iron 0-1 Vale  
1968-69 - Sat 28 Sep DIV 4 Vale 4-1 Iron Heath
1964-65 - Fri 9 Apr DIV 3 Iron 0-0 Vale  
1964-65 - Sat 28 Nov DIV 3 Vale 0-1 Iron Ratcliffe
1953-54 - Sat 13 Feb DIV 3N Vale 0-0 Iron  
1953-54 - Sat 26 Sep DIV 3N Iron 0-2 Vale  
1952-53 - Sat 13 Feb DIV 3N Vale 4-0 Iron  
1952-53 - Sat 31 Jan DIV 3N Iron 1-2 Vale Mosby


Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Port Vale 0-1 Iron

17 November 2020

Abo Eisa's stunning first-half goal secured an important second win in succession for United which pulled them out of League Two's bottom two, and their first victory at Port Vale since 2006 as they emerged 1-0 victors.

The Iron entered the game making two changes, as Jai Rowe and Harrison McGahey came in for Jordan Clarke, who was rested as a precaution, and Jacob Bedeau, who was on the bench.

The hosts pressed into on the right side of the area in the early stages and squeezed in a low cross. The Iron dealt with the ball before Junior Brown hooked clear.

There was then further good defending from Brown on four minutes as he intercepted from Tom Conlon’s left-wing cross into the area. The Iron got the ball clear with Emmanuel Onariase and eventually won a throw-in.

Vale then came forward down the right side, squeezing in a cross with Onariase clearing before the central defender did the same again soon after.

With 10 minutes played, David Worrall cushioned a header down to Mark Cullen, but McGahey read it and cleared. Soon after, the hosts got a free-kick on the left channel.

Worrall’s free-kick was a dangerous one, with Onariase emerging at the back post to head clear. A second cross came in with Legge heading goalwards, but Mark Howard made a comfortable save.

The 19th minute saw neat football from the Iron, from Rowe’s throw as he and Lewis Spence combined before the ball was fed into Ryan Loft. He was then picked up and thrown on the floor, but no free-kick was given.

Rowe then read Worrall’s first touch well to slide in and win the ball back as the hosts came forward following a move from the Iron which saw Alfie Beestin involved.

Soon after, Spence’s forward run saw him gain possession inside the area on the left. His low cross searched for Loft but Legge came across and headed clear.

Then, Loft hooked clear an inviting cross into the Iron penalty area, with the United forward back on defensive duties following a free-kick to the hosts. Soon after, Loft received the first yellow card of the game following a foul on the half way line.

With 28 minutes played, Scunthorpe took the lead as they turned defence to attack following a free-kick to Vale. Howard unleashed Eisa down the left, who brought the ball forward, with the winger then curling a long range effort across goal and into the corner of the net for his first goal of the season.

Soon after, Loft strode forward and sensed the loose ball, winning possession on the right channel before he teed up for Spence, whose cross was blocked for a throw.

With 33 minutes on the clock, Loft and Brown both went up for the ball following Rowe’s cross into the area. The Vale ‘keeper ended up on the deck, but neither player touched the ball.

There was then a big penalty shout as Kevin van Veen controlled the ball inside the area and was hauled down. The referee waved away the protests from the Iron, however.

The last action of note from the opening half saw Eisa almost get in inside the box, but Smith defended well and brought the ball clear for the hosts.

There was an early second half chance for the hosts as Cullen had a go from 25-yards with the effort going over the bar.

Alex Gilliead then controlled a cross into the area and brought the ball away and over the half way line. He looked to slip in Loft, but the ball was gathered by the home ‘keeper.

At the other end, Conlon then had a go from range, but he cut across the ball and the effort flew wide.

With 52 minutes gone, Worrall and van Veen clashed on the half-way line, with the Dutchman staying down. He received treatment before being soon replaced by John McAtee.

In the 56th minute, Rowe headed away following a cross from the left side. The hosts won the ball back with another cross coming in from the left, but the Iron defended really well inside their six-yard box.

A minute later, Loft hit the post after he was threaded in down the right and shrugged off his man before advancing on goal. His drive across goal rattled back into play for the home goalkeeper to gather.

The 61st minute saw good Iron defending as Worrall chested down and volleyed an effort towards goal, with a block put in allowing the ball to spin towards Howard for him to gather.

Eisa then rolled his man and looked to advance on goal, but for a brilliant last ditch tackle. At the other end, a cross came in which Brown chested down and clears.

Soon after, Harry McKirdy slotted an effort wide from 20-yards after cutting inside.

The hosts had their best chance of the night so far with 67 minutes gone as Cristian Montano received the ball on the left side of the box from Devante Rodney, he played a cross in for Cullen, but it just evaded him and United could breath a sigh of relief.

With 72 minutes gone, McGahey headed clear a goal-bound effort as the hosts played the ball inside the penalty area. They then won a free-kick on the edge of the area which Conlon took, and saw deflected over the bar. Nothing came from the subsequent corner.

Three minutes later, Loft was replaced by Devarn Green as United made their second change of the night.

United continued to defend resolutely as the hosts probed for a leveller but couldn't create anything clear cut.

There was a final Iron change with four minutes remaining as Bedeau replaced Eisa to re-enforce the defence in the closing stages.

On 88 minutes, Rodney put in an inviting cross from the right for the hosts which flashed across the box, but out of play for a goal kick.

A minute later, there were shouts of handball as Onariase blocked a goal-bound effort with his face but the referee wasn't having it, and United got it clear.

There was drama during the second minute out of four in stoppage time as the hosts thought they'd scrambled the ball over the line from close range, but Howard stopped it and the referee blew for a free-kick as he judged the Iron goalkeeper to have been fouled.

Scunthorpe return to action on Saturday when they host Morecambe in Sky Bet League Two (3pm kick-off).

PORT VALE: Brown, Clark, Smith, Legge, Crookes (Montano, 52), Oyeleke, Conlon, Burgess (McKirdy, 63), Worrall, Amoo (Rodney, 65), Cullen.

PORT VALE SUBS NOT USED: Visser, Brisley, Fitzpatrick, Pope.

IRON: Howard, McGahey, Onariase, Gilliead, Loft (Green, 75), van Veen (McAtee, 54), Eisa (Bedeau, 86), Brown, Spence, Beestin, Rowe.

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Watson, Hippolyte, Hallam, Dünnwald-Turan.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block