Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

16 January 2021 Venue Progression Solicitors Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Preview: Barrow (A)

15 January 2021

The Iron will be seeking a first win in three games when they visit Barrow on Saturday (3pm kick-off).

Club News

Get your Barrow vs Iron iFollow match pass

16 January 2021


United come into it on the back of successive defeats at the hands of Stevenage and Salford City, and will be seeking a win that could potentially take them up to 18th in the division.

The visitors arrived at the Sands Venue Stadium last month having just parted company with David Dunn, but they are now under the stewardship of former Grimsby Town manager Michael Jolley.

This month, they welcome United one place below them in the division and three points adrift, with a win for the Bluebirds bringing them level on points. Barrow have an eight-goal swing in their favour on goal difference, with a win for the Iron opening up at six-point gap.


The last campaign saw them promoted back into the EFL after 48 years away, after they ended the season top of the National League.

The Holker Street side will be seeking a first league win since Boxing Day when they saw off Port Vale 2-0 at Vale Park.

In the meantime though, they did draw 1-1 at home to Tranmere Rovers thanks to a penalty from Scott Quigley.

Goalkeeper Joel Dixon tops the appearance charts with 22 league starts to his name, while Quigley is top scorer with five league goals.

Former Iron left-back Kgosi Ntlhe joined in the summer following his release from us, and has made six appearances in the league so far, not featuring for the side since December 5th. 

It will be a second family affair of the season in the dugouts too with Josh Lillis, formerly of the Iron and son of assistant manager Mark, at the Bluebirds as player/goalkeeping coach.


New arrivals Jem Karacan and George Taft both made their debuts in midweek after signing on a free transfer and on loan from Bolton Wanderers respectively. Karacan made it through 70 minutes of the match, while Taft played the full 90.

Myles Hippolyte and Manny Onariase (both ankle) have continued to be involved in training as they edge closer to a return to contention while Aaron Jarvis (hamstring) continues to be missing for a total of 10 weeks after his scan results revealed a tear.

Jordan Hallam (thigh) and Harrison McGahey (hamstring) were both due to play for the Under-23s on Wednesday against Walsall as they stepped up their returns, but the game was called off due to a frozen pitch. Junior Brown (thigh) returned to the starting line-up in midweek against Salford.

Kevin van Veen is underdoing his rehabilitation at the club following an injection on his hamstring injury which required rest over the festive period. His injury will keep him out for a total of around 10 weeks, while Fin Shrimpton (ankle) is on the sidelines.

Andy Dales faces two-to-three weeks out with an ankle injury sustained for the Under-23s last week.

Olufela Olomola faces around two months on the sidelines following a knee injury sustained after coming off the bench against Bolton Wanderers in November.


It will be our first away encounter the Bluebirds, who were promoted from the National League under the leadership of Ian Evatt last season, since October 1971 when the Iron were 1-0 victors.

There has since been two home games, one at the Old Show Ground and one at the Sands Venue Stadium. Both have resulted in 2-1 wins, with the latest last month coming with goals from Abo Eisa and a stoppage time header from Jordan Clarke.

2020-21 - Tue 15 Dec LG 2 Iron 2-1 Barrow Eisa, Clarke
1971-72 - Sat 12 Feb DIV 4 Iron 2-1 Barrow Fletcher 2
1971-72 - Sat 23 Oct DIV 4 Barrow 0-1 Iron Kirk
1970-71 - Mon 8 Mar DIV 4 Barrow 1-2 Iron Davidson, Heath
1970-71 - Tue 22 Sep DIV 4 Iron 1-1 Barrow Keegan (p)
1967-68 - Sat 11 May DIV 3 Barrow 2-1 Iron Kerr
1967-68 - Sat 17 Feb DIV 3 Iron 2-4 Barrow Lindsey, Sloan
1957-58 - Thu 17 Apr DIV 3 (N) Iron 1-0 Barrow Stokes
1957-58 - Sat 29 Mar DIV 3 (N) Barrow 0-1 Iron Davies
1956-57 - Sat 22 Dec DIV 3 (N) Iron 1-1 Barrow Haigh
1956-57 - Sat 25 Aug DIV 3 (N) Barrow 1-2 Iron Brown, Fletcher
1955-56 - Sat 3 Mar DIV 3 (N) Barrow 2-2 Iron Callaghan, Haigh
1955-56 - Sat 22 Oct DIV 3 (N) Iron 2-0 Barrow Gregory, Brownsword (p)
1954-55 - Sat 22 Jan DIV 3 (N) Iron 3-0 Barrow Whitfield 2, Mosby
1954-55 - Sat 11 Sep DIV 3 (N) Barrow 1-3 Iron Gregory, Brown, Haigh
1953-54 - Sat Mar 20 DIV 3 (N) Barrow 1-2 Iron Gregory 2
1953-54 - Sat Oct 31 DIV 3 (N) Iron 3-2 Barrow Jones 2, Sharpe
1952-53 - Sat Dec 20 DIV 3 (N) Iron 1-2 Barrow White
1952-53 - Sat Aug 23 DIV 3 (N) Barrow 2-1 Iron Mynard
1951-52 - Thu May 1 DIV 3 (N) Iron 0-0 Barrow  
1951-52 - Sat Feb 23 DIV 3 (N) Barrow 2-1 Iron Hubbard
1950-51 - Sat Jan 13 DIV 3 (N) Iron 1-0 Barrow Boyes
1950-51 - Sat Sep 9 DIV 3 (N) Barrow 1-0 Iron  


Bolton Wanderers v Cheltenham Town (3pm)
Bradford City v Crawley Town (3pm)
Colchester United v Cambridge United (3pm)
Forest Green Rovers v Port Vale (3pm)
Grimsby Town v Southend United (3pm)
Harrogate Town v Exeter City (3pm)
Leyton Orient v Morecambe (3pm)
Mansfield Town v Carlisle United (3pm)
Newport County v Salford City (3pm)
Stevenage v Tranmere Rovers (3pm)
Walsall v Oldham Athletic (3pm)

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Barrow 1-0 Iron

16 January 2021

United were beaten 1-0 at Barrow on Saturday afternoon.

The Iron made two changes going into their away match at Barrow, as Tyler Cordner and Abo Eisa were replaced by Harrison McGahey and Myles Hippolyte, who both returned from hamstring and ankle injury lay-offs since December 8th and December 29th respectively.

With three minutes gone, Hippolyte broke the offside trap down the right side to meet a ball down the channel by Jordan Clarke before Lewis Spence’s low cross was cleared. Play then came down the left for the Iron with Junior Brown’s cross claimed by Joel Dixon.

Two minutes later, Ryan Loft looked to have done well to edge Matt Platt off the ball, control well and turn into the box, but the referee deemed him to have fouled the Bluebirds defender.

The hosts won the first corner of the game on seven minutes, with Platt meeting the cross from Neal Eardley to head goalwards, with Alex Gilliead heading the effort away from goal before Jem Karacan hooked the ball further clear.

With 16 minutes gone, Spence was pushed right in front of the referee, yet play continued, while McGahey was adjudged to have fouled shortly after as he shrugged off Luke James. A minute later, Platt somehow put the ball wide of the target from a couple of yards out as he met the resultant free-kick. Platt was flagged offside though, so it wouldn’t have counted.

After 20 minutes, Tom Beadling picked up the loose ball and opened up to shoot, with Brown putting his body in the way to block the long range effort.

Soon after, Josh Kay drove down the left for the hosts and fired across goal, drawing a save from Mark Howard in the Iron goal, down to his left.

With 26 minutes gone, Eardley played Harrison Biggins in down the right whose deep cross was almost met by Kay on the slide at the back post, but he just failed to get on the end of it.

Soon after, United looked to work an opening on the edge of the area, with Gilliead playing the ball to Hippolyte on the left. He sent a cross in which was blocked away by the home defence, and Barrow looked to break but Brown brought down Scott Quigley and picked up the first booking of the game.

On 33 minutes, after a pass by Gilliead, the Iron duo of Loft and Beestin linked up with the former attempting to play through the latter, but the home side intercepted and got the ball cleared.

After a free-kick was won on the edge of the Iron box two minutes later, Lewis Hardcastle took it and saw his shot deflected wide for a corner. The set-piece was sent in from the left and Howard punched away, before Spence cleared the ball on the nearside touchline.

Two minutes later, Scunthorpe won a free-kick midway through the Barrow half which Gilliead took, aiming for the height of the centre-backs who had got forward, but it drifted out of danger.

Just before half-time, Barrow won a corner on the left but nothing came from it as the Iron dealt with the ball in and it was eventually cleared by Karacan.

There was one change at the break, as Emmanuel Onariase came on for McGahey, to make his own comeback from injury and play for the first time since Boxing Day.

The first chance of the second half came Scunthorpe's way on 48 minutes. Karacan sent a half-volley goalwards, which Dixon got across to save following a hooked cross from Beestin which was only half cleared.

A few minutes later, Beestin charged down Eardley’s free-kick on the edge of the box as the wall stood strong once more.

With 58 minutes played, Barrow took the lead as Kay was played in down the left and slotted into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

United looked for an instant response, and Beestin saw his shot blocked as Hippolyte held the ball up in the area before teeing him up.

Scunthorpe made a second change soon after, as Eisa came on for Loft.

With 63 minutes played, Spence won a free-kick on the edge of the box as he closed down to win the ball back before stealing in and being brought down. Gilliead took the set-play, curling the ball over the wall and towards the far post, with the effort just clearing the crossbar.

Soon after, Barrow frontman Luke James clashed heads with Clarke, with the home player going down and not moving. Play immediately stopped with treatment swiftly on the pitch. There were numerous medical staff around him as a neck brace was applied and he was brought off on a stretcher. As a consequence though, there was a ten minute break in play.

Clarke got the next yellow card of the game shortly after, following a foul on the right channel as Barrow pressed forward.

At the other end, Dixon then read a good strike from Karacan from long range as an Iron corner was cleared into his path on the edge of the box.

With 81 minutes gone, United moved forward well through Gilliead, before he played in Clarke, who got a right-wing cross in which Karacan headed just into the side netting at the far post.

Five minutes later, Brown was shown his second yellow card following an off the ball altercation with Quigley and was subsequently red-carded.

The Iron still pressed for a leveller and Eisa stung the palms of Dixon at his near post on 88 minutes with a low drilled effort from the right edge of the area.

A double alteration was then made just before 15 minutes of stoppage time, as John McAtee and Devarn Green came on for Beestin and Hippolyte.

The latter of those substitutes almost made an instant impact as Green strode through on the left following a long ball forward, with the low cross across the goal posing a danger before being cleared.

Later in the stoppage time, there was a corner to the Iron with Green winning a header from McAtee’s cross. His second cross met the run from Karacan, but Dixon made the save.

Then, Green crossed from the left, and Eisa and Taft saw shots blocked before the ball was hacked clear.

United couldn't find the equaliser and return to action next Saturday when they host Grimsby Town (1pm kick-off).

BARROW: Dixon, Eardley, J Jones, Platt, Brough, Kay, Beadling, Biggins (J Taylor, 90+8), Hardcastle (C Taylor, 90+3), Quigley, James (Angus, 75).

BARROW SUBS NOT USED: Lillis, Brown, Hird.

IRON: Howard, Clarke, Taft, McGahey (Onariase, 45), Gilliead, Loft (Eisa, 61), Brown, Hippolyte (Green, 89), Spence, Beestin (McAtee, 89), Karacan.

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Watson, Bedeau, Rowe.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account