Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

19 December 2020 Venue Blundell Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Preview: Grimsby Town (A)

18 December 2020

It's 'Derby Day' on Saturday when the Iron visit North East Lincolnshire rivals Grimsby Town (3pm kick-off).

Club News

Get your £10 match pass for Grimsby Town v the Iron

19 December 2020


Scunthorpe enter the game buoyed by a last-gasp 2-1 home win over Barrow at the Sands Venue Stadium on Tuesday night. Abo Eisa and Jordan Clarke were on the scoresheet, with the latter's goal being our first 90th minute winner since November 2017.

The result meant we stayed 18th in League Two but could potentially climb as high as 16th with a victory at Blundell Park.


Ian Holloway's Mariners enter the game on the back of a 3-1 away loss at Southend United on Tuesday night, which saw former Iron defender Luke Waterfall sent off in the closing stages.

They are 20th in the division and will be seeking a first win since November 3rd, when they defeated Barrow 1-0 at home.

Waterfall was top of their appearance charts, with 15 to his name, while they have four players on two goals as joint top league scorers so far this term.


United will have Mason O'Malley and Jake Taylor both available following their absences in midweek.

O'Malley missed out as he was rested following a string of games in a row, while Taylor missed out with a sore achilles.

Harrison McGahey (hamstring) is still missing, but is expected to be back in the New Year, while Junior Brown (thigh) is ahead of schedule and back on the training pitch, but is not ready for action, as yet.

Kevin van Veen has returned to the Netherlands for a short break as he recovers from an injection on the hamstring injury which will keep him out for around 10 weeks, while Frank Vincent (thigh), Harry Jessop (shoulder) and Fin Shrimpton (ankle) are all on the sidelines.


Kevin van Veen was the match-winner on two occasions last season against the Mariners, netting a brace in the 2-1 Trophy group stage win in September and then notching the winner at Blundell Park in December.

We were defeated 2-0 at home by them back in March.

2019-20 - Sat Mar 7 LG 2 Iron 0-2 Grimsby  
2019-20 - Sat Dec 21 LG 2 Grimsby 0-1 Iron van Veen
2019-20 - Tue Sep 4 FLT GS Grimsby 1-2 Iron van Veen 2
2017-18 - Tue Oct 3 FLT GS Iron 2-1 Grimsby Hopper 2
2013-14 - Tue Nov 19 FAC R1 R Iron 1-2 Grimsby Hawkridge
2013-14 - Sat Nov 9 FAC R1 Grimsby 0-0 Iron  
2008-09 - Tue Oct 7 FLT R2 Iron 2-1 Grimsby Togwell, Morris
2004-05 - Sat Apr 23 LG 2 Grimsby 0-0 Iron  
2004-05 - Sat Nov 6 LG 2 Iron 2-0 Grimsby Hayes 2
1997-98 - Tue Jan 27 FLT QF Iron 0-2 Grimsby  
1989-90 - Tue Apr 17 DIV 4 Grimsby 2-1 Iron Flounders
1989-90 - Tue Dec 26 DIV 4 Iron 2-2 Grimsby Daws, Marshall
1988-89 - Sat Mar 18 DIV 4 Grimsby 1-1 Iron Flounders
1988-89 - Sat Sep 10 DIV 4 Iron 1-1 Grimsby Lister
1982-83 - Tue Jan 11 FAC R3 R Grimsby 2-0 Iron  
1982-83 - Sat Jan 8 FAC R3 Iron 0-0 Grimsby  
1982-83 - Tue Sep 14 FLC R1 L2 Grimsby 0-0 Iron  
1982-83 - Tue Aug 31 FLC R1 L1 Iron 1-2 Grimsby Cowling
1979-80 - Tue Aug 14 FLC R1 L2 Iron 0-0 Grimsby  
1979-80 - Sat Aug 11 FLC R1 L1 Grimsby 2-0 Iron  
1978-79 - Sat Apr 14 DIV 4 Grimsby 1-1 Iron Kavanagh
1978-79 - Tue Dec 26 DIV 4 Iron 2-1 Grimsby Kilmore, Grimes
1977-78 - Fri Mar 3 DIV 4 Iron 2-1 Grimsby Lumby 2
1977-78 - Sat Oct 8 DIV 4 Grimsby 0-0 Iron  
1972-73 - Tue Dec 26 DIV 3 Grimsby 1-0 Iron  
1972-73 - Sat Sep 23 DIV 3 Iron 1-2 Grimsby Deere
1971-72 - Sat Oct 16 DIV 4 Iron 1-2 Grimsby Deere
1971-72 - Sat Aug 14 DIV 4 Grimsby 4-1 Iron Fletcher
1970-71 - Fri Apr 9 DIV 4 Grimsby 1-0 Iron  
1970-71 - Sat Oct 3 DIV 4 Iron 1-2 Grimsby Keegan
1969-70 - Sat Dec 13 DIV 4 Iron 1-1 Grimsby Cassidy
1969-70 - Sat Sep 13 DIV 4 Grimsby 1-1 Iron Heath
1968-69 - Sat Jan 25 DIV 4 Grimsby 0-1 Iron Cassidy
1968-69 - Wed Nov 6 DIV 4 Iron 1-2 Grimsby Colquhoun
1967-68 - Sat Jan 20 DIV 3 Iron 0-3 Grimsby  
1967-68 - Sat Sep 16 DIV 3 Grimsby 2-1 Iron Barton
1966-67 - Tue Sep 27 DIV 3 Iron 0-0 Grimsby  
1966-67 - Wed Sep 7 DIV 3 Grimsby 7-1 Iron Bedford
1965-66 - Tue Apr 12 DIV 3 Iron 2-2 Grimsby Bedford, Colquhoun
1965-66 - Fri Apr 8 DIV 3 Grimsby 1-3 Iron Sloan 3
1964-65 - Tue Apr 6 DIV 3 Grimsby 3-0 Iron  
1964-65 - Sat Dec 26 DIV 3 Iron 2-1 Grimsby Ratcliffe, Kirkman
1963-64 - Sat Apr 11 DIV 2 Grimsby 2-0 Iron  
1963-64 - Sat Nov 30 DIV 2 Iron 2-2 Grimsby Conde, Lawther
1962-63 - Fri Dec 21 DIV 2 Iron 1-1 Grimsby Gibson
1962-63 - Sat Aug 25 DIV 2 Grimsby 3-0 Iron  
1958-59 - Sat Mar 14 DIV 2 Iron 1-3 Grimsby Marriott
1958-59 - Sat Oct 25 DIV 2 Grimsby 1-1 Iron Waldock
1955-56 - Mon Apr 2 DIV 3N Iron 0-1 Grimsby  
1955-56 - Fri Mar 30 DIV 3N Grimsby 0-1 Iron Brown
1954-55 - Thu Sep 2 DIV 3N Iron 1-0 Grimsby Jones
1954-55 - Tue Aug 24 DIV 3N Grimsby 1-4 Iron Brown 2, McGill, Gregory
1953-54 - Sat Dec 19 DIV 3N Iron 2-1 Grimsby Whitfield, Gregory
1953-54 - Sat Aug 22 DIV 3N Grimsby 0-1 Iron Gregory
1952-53 - Wed Sep 3 DIV 3N Grimsby 1-0 Iron  
1952-53 - Thu Aug 28 DIV 3N Iron 0-1 Grimsby  
1951-52 - Wed Dec 26 DIV 3N Iron 1-3 Grimsby Powell
1951-52 - Tue Dec 25 DIV 3N Grimsby 3-2 Iron Powell 2
FA CUP 0 2 2
LEAGUE 12 13 21
TOTAL 15 17 26


Barrow v Cheltenham Town
Bolton Wanderers v Tranmere Rovers
Bradford City v Cambridge United
Colchester United v Morecambe
Forest Green Rovers v Carlisle United
Harrogate Town v Salford City
Leyton Orient v Crawley Town
Mansfield Town v Southend United
Newport County v Oldham Athletic
Walsall v Port Vale

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Grimsby Town 1-0 Iron

19 December 2020

Scunthorpe United fell to a narrow 1-0 defeat at Grimsby Town on Saturday afternoon.

The match was decided by Matt Pollock, who stabbed home a first-half goal for the Mariners following a corner.

It was a Humber derby like no other, played behind closed doors almost exactly a year to the day since United’s 1-0 triumph over the Mariners in a polar opposite atmosphere.

But this year, it was to be the Mariners who emerged victorious from another tightly-fought contest.

For the fixture, Neil Cox kept faith with the same starting eleven which had overcome Barrow on Tuesday evening.

That meant Mark Howard in goal, protected by a defence of Myles Hippolyte, Emmanuel Onariase, Jacob Bedeau and Jordan Clarke.

Alex Gilliead, Lewis Spence, Alfie Beestin and Abo Eisa packed the midfield, with John McAtee and Ryan Loft up top.

After the teams had taken the knee, the match started - with both sides trying to play at a high tempo. Quick passing and sharp tackles were the order of the opening five minutes.

In the sixth minute, the first chance fell Scunthorpe’s way, but McAtee’s header was well-handled by James McKeown following Gilliead’s searching cross.

Three minutes later, Jordan Clarke played an over-the-top ball which sliced through the Town defence, but it had a little (emphasis on ‘little’) too much on it for John McAtee to reach.

All things considered, it was a reasonable start by United away from home. This was underscored further when they resolutely defended a corner on the quarter hour mark.

Yet it would be fair to say that Town were growing steadily into the game, and were starting to see more of the ball in the middle of the park.

In one instance, this increased possession led to Filipe Morias flying down the flank and then rasping a cross into the box which Howard had to turn behind for a corner.

In turn, when United were unable to sufficiently clear that, Matty Pollock was able to stab home the loose ball. The Mariners, with twenty minutes on the clock, were ahead.

In response, United composed themselves and regathered their passing rhythm. 25 minutes were on the clock when they won a left-wing free-kick which Eisa whipped in and Onariase’s head was unlucky not to steer home at the back-stick.

Seconds later, the claret and blue side were in the attacking third again. Unfortunately, Loft could only fire over from 20 yards under a lot of pressure from the home defence.

Up the other end, the Grimsby bench was then audibly frustrated when Jackson surged into the box and was tackled by Bedeau, with the Mariner ending up on the deck. ‘Penalty’ Ian Holloway boomed, but to no avail.

35 minutes had been played when Scunthorpe had their next half-chance. Gilliead accelerated past his man and stood up the ball at the back-post, but Eisa couldn’t quite get over the ball for his header to hit the target.

Two minutes later, Gilliead found space again, and this time tried to pick out the far top-corner. The idea was there, but the execution wasn’t quite as it curled away from the angle of the posts and into the stands.

Still, Gilliead was finding space and looking dangerous - which had to be a positive. Furthermore, despite trailing, United were managing make chances - they just needed to make one count.

With the break firmly on the horizon, there was just time for Clarke to play through McAtee on the wing. However, the striker seemed surprised to have sprung the offside trap, and ended up curtailing his run before cutting the ball back behind Ryan Loft; rather than gunning for goal.

And that was pretty much that for the half, so at the break United trailed 1-0. Yet on the whole it had been an fairly even half, with the Iron having their fair share of chances.

Ahead of the re-start, McAtee was replaced by Aaron Jarvis for United before Grimsby got the match back underway.

At the start of the second period, it was Town who came out trying to force the issue. For the first ten minutes the Iron had a lot of pressure to absorb, and did so without affording their hosts a clear chance - despite Ira Jackson’s huffing and puffing.

After that spell, Town settled back down a little and became content to break up play in the middle of the park with little fouls designed to disrupt the Iron’s rhythm. It was frustrating but effective - neither side was managing to make any chances of any description as a result.

On the hour mark, Green and Edwards were introduced in place on Gibson and Bennett for Grimsby. It was a move that foreshadowed a further ten minutes of midfield battling.

In the very next passage, Ira Jackson pickpocketed the Scunthorpe defence, but after slaloming into the box fired wide.

With the clock now aligned against United, Myles Hippolyte planted a free-kick deep into the box 15 minutes from time. Both teams advanced towards it, but it was ultimately turned wide by an Iron, well, outer thigh.

After a further United attack, Jake Taylor was then introduced to the action, with Beestin withdrawn. Seconds later, Tilley was also brought on, but for Grimsby.

Inside the last ten minutes, Morais was taken off with Joe Starbuck brought on. Immediately Town pumped a free-kick high into Iron territory, where it was dealt with.

Five minutes from time, United had a potential opportunity when they won a free-kick on the right. Eisa placed the ball down, but struck it with a bit too much power and cleared the box.

It was an apt metaphor for United’s luck in the second-half. 1-0 to Town it ended, after five minutes of additional time.

GRIMSBY: McKeown, Hendrie, Hewitt, Pollock, Preston, Spokes, Clifton, Morais (Starbuck, 82), Bennett (Edwards, 62), Jackson Jr (Tilley, 79), Gibson (Green, 62).

GRIMSBY SUBS NOT USED: Russell, Khouri, Sisay.

IRON: Howard, Clarke, Bedeau, Onariase, Gilliead, Loft, Eisa, Hippolyte, Spence, Beestin (Taylor, 78), McAtee (Jarvis, 45).

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Watson, Green, Hallam, Cordner, O'Malley.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account