Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy tickets
09 August 2016 Venue Glanford Park Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English League Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Iron 2-0 Notts County

9 August 2016

The Iron made it two wins from two, as they ran out 2-0 winners after extra time in the first round of the EFL Cup against Notts County at Glanford Park.

After both sides failed to find a winner in normal time, Kevin van Veen scored in both periods of extra time, to secure his side’s passage to the next round of the competition.

United made four changes going into the game, with Duane Holmes, Luke Williams, Jamie Ness and Kyle Wootton coming into the side, in place of Neal Bishop, Josh Morris, Hakeeb Adelakun and Tom Hopper.

Right from the off the hosts penned Notts County in, with a succession of corners eventually leading to Williams turning and shooting on the edge of the area. The midfielder’s effort was too high however, leaving Adam Collin to watch the ball drift over the crossbar.

County soon went close themselves though shortly after, when the ball dropped to Alex Rodman just outside the box. His controlled volley forced Luke Daniels into action, as he palmed the strike away with his right hand.

A swift Iron move then followed minutes later, involving van Veen, Stephen Dawson and Williams. The latter would eventually cross for Conor Townsend, who just couldn’t keep his left footed drive down.

The action flowed from end to end, and Alan Smith went inches from opening the scoring, with a spectacular 30 yard effort which flew past the outside of Daniels’ post.

Graham Alexander’s side were looking the most threatening though, and van Veen was the next to try his luck, mid-way through the half. Again, United were slick in their build up, resulting in the striker having room on the edge of the box, from where he unleashed a thunderous effort which flashed just wide.

The men from League Two were keeping the Iron on their toes however, and probably would have been disappointed not to take the lead when Rodman drove the ball across the face of goal. Striker Vadaine Oliver couldn’t stretch to finish the cross off though, as the ball went behind for a goal kick.

Despite the chances created by both sides, they went in with the scoreline goalless at the break.

The Iron made a bright start to the second half, with Williams making a driving run at the heart of the County back four. He created space for a shot, but Collin held onto the ball well, as it zipped up off the wet surface.

As the clock ticked past the hour mark, Williams was involved again, as he attempted to curl the ball into the top corner of the goal. Credit to Colin though, whose outstretched arm was enough to prevent the hosts from taking the lead.

John Sheridan’s side then created two good opportunities in a short space of time. Firstly, Rodman - who tested Daniels in the first half - went for goal once more, but he got too much power into the strike, which sailed over.

The best chance of the match so far then fell the way of Matt Tootle, who’d made a late burst into the penalty area. He couldn’t beat Daniels though, with the Iron stopper diving at the County man’s feet.

With just over 20 minutes remaining, it looked as though United had finally found the breakthrough. The ever-threatening Williams was involved again - this time turning provider for van Veen, as he delivered a sublime cross to the Dutchman, but his left footed shot went agonisingly wide of the goal.

The Iron were turning the screw, and had two more chances to find the elusive goal. Firstly, Duane Holmes cut in from the right flank and smashed a low shot, which Colin parried into the path of substitute Josh Morris, who couldn’t keep the follow up down.

More sustained pressure continued to follow, and five minutes from time, Jamie Ness forced Collin to produce another good save, as he struck from twenty yards out.

This would prove to be the final act of normal time however, as the match went into thirty minutes of extra time.

At the beginning of extra time, the home side carried on their persistent probing, with Collin making a fine save to repel van Veen’s effort from 18 yards out.

Just before the hundred minute mark, United finally made the breakthrough. Following a dangerous free kick from the right, Murray Wallace sent the ball back across goal with a header, and van Veen was on hand to tap home from close range.

The victory was sealed, four minutes from time, when van Veen picked up the ball after a crisp pass from Hakeeb Adelakun. He then turned, before slotting the ball into the far corner with his left foot, leaving Collin with no chance.

That would be that as far as the game was concerned, with the Iron playing out the final minutes with relative ease, as they secured their second win in as many games. 

Scunthorpe United:
Daniels, Wallace, Mirfin, Williams (Adelakun 105), Dawson, van Veen, Wootton (Morris 66), Holmes (Mantom 114), Townsend, Ness, Clarke.
Substitutes not used: Anyon, Wiseman, Bishop, Goode.

Notts County: Collin, Audel, Duffy, Hollis, Dickinson, Smith (Atkinson 77), Tootle, Stead (Campbell 66), Rodman, Oliver (Snijders 99), Burke.
Substitutes not used: Loach, Hewitt, Richards, Aborah.

Attendance: 2,158.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account