Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Top goalscorers (all competitions)


1950/51  Ted Gorin 12    12 
1951/52  Ray Powell 14    18 
1952/53 Jack Haigh 13    13 
1953/54  Jack Gregory  16    18 
1954/55  Gordon Brown  23    23 
1955/56  Gordon Brown  21    26 
1956/57  Gordon Brown  14    15 
1957/58 Ronnie Waldock  21    22 
1958/59  Ronnie Waldock  14    14 
1959/60  Peter Donnelly  15  0   15 
1960/61  Barrie Thomas  26    29 
1961/62  Barrie Thomas  31    31 
1962/63 John Kaye  13    13 
1963/64  Ken Hodgson  11    11 

Ian Lawther

Barrie Thomas 










1965/66  Brian Bedford  22    22 
1966/67  Frank Barton  11    13 

David Sloan 

Frank Barton










Terry Heath

George Kerr








1969/70  Nigel Cassidy  21    25 

Terry Heath

Kevin Keegan 









1971/72 Rod Fletcher 19    20 
1972/73  Rod Fletcher  10    11 
1973/74  Nolan Keeley    13 
1974/75  Dudley Roberts 13    13 
1975/76  Rick Green  15    16 
1976/77  Nolan Keeley  12    14 
1977/78  Jim Lumby  21    22 
1978/79  Kevin Kilmore  17    17 
1979/80  Malcolm Partridge  13    13 
1980/81 Steve Cammack  15    16 
1981/82  George Telfer    10 
1982/83  Steve Cammack  25    26 
1983/84  Steve Cammack  18    25 
1984/85  Steve Cammack  24    25 
1985/86  Steve Cammack  12    13 
1986/87  Steve Johnson  16    18 
1987/88  Andy Flounders  24  1   27 
1988/89  Tony Daws  24    27 
1989/90  Andy Flounders  18    20 
1990/91  Andy Flounders  23    27 

Jason White

Ian Helliwell 









1992/93  Ian Helliwell  13    17 
1993/94  Matt Carmichael  18    24 

Ian Juryeff

John Eyre 








1995/96  Andy McFarlane  16    21 

Phil Clarkson

Paul Baker 










Jamie Forrester

John Eyre

Alex Calvo-Garcia 















1998/99  Jamie Forrester  20    23 
1999/00  Guy Ipoua   
2000/01  Guy Ipoua  14    18 

Martin Carruthers

Steve Torpey 










2002/03  Martin Carruthers  20    21 
2003/04  Steve MacLean  23    25 
2004/05  Paul Hayes  18    20 
2005/06  Billy Sharp  23    24 
2006/07  Billy Sharp  30    32 
2007/08  Martin Paterson  13    14 
2008/09  Gary Hooper  24    26 
2009/10  Gary Hooper  19    20 
2010/11  Michael O'Connor   
2011/12  Andy Barcham    10 

Leon Clarke

Karl Hawley 










2013/14  Sam Winnall  23    23 
2014/15  Paddy Madden  14    17 
2015/16  Paddy Madden  20    23 
2016/17  Josh Morris  19    20 
2017/18 Josh Morris 11 0 0 1 0   12
2018/19 Lee Novak 12 1 0 0 0   13
2019/20 Kevin van Veen 10 0 0 5 0   15
2020/21 Abo Eisa 9 0 0 0 0   9
2021/22 Ryan Loft 5 0 0 1 0   6

Joe Nuttall
Caolan Lavery

0 0 0 0 0


1 Steve Cammack 1979-81; 1982-86 110
2 Barrie Thomas 1959-62; 1964-66 93
3 Andy Flounders 1987-91 87
4 Gordon Brown 1952-57 68

Jack Haigh

Paul Hayes


2002-05; 2007-10; 2013-14


John (Jack) Gregory

Tony Daws



9 Steve Torpey 2000-07 59
10 Billy Sharp 2005-07 53
11 Paddy Madden 2014-present 52
12 John Eyre 1994-99 51
13 Jack Brownsword 1947-65 50
14 Terry Heath 1968-73 49

Ronnie Waldock

Angus Davidson



17 Gary Hooper 2008-10 43
18 David Sloan 1964-68 42

Club record goalscorer Steve Cammack pictured in 1983.245 league appearances, 18 FA Cup appearances, 10 League Cup appearances, 6 Associate Member Cup appearances

110 league goals, 6 FA Cup goals, 3 League Cup goals, 2 Associate Member Cup goals

TOTAL: 279 appearances, 121 goals

Without doubt a legend of the club, Cammack arrived initially from Chesterfield in September 1979. Kevin Kilmore had been sold to local rivals Grimsby Town for £60,000 and one-quarter of this had wisely been reinvested to acquire the striker who would go onto write a massive page in the history of the football club and set a record which, to this day, is still yet to be broken.

His debut would come against Hudderfield Town on September 14th, in a 1-1 draw at the Old Show Ground before he netted his first goal for the club four days later in a 6-1 demolition of York City - a game in which Malcolm Partridge would arguably grab the headlines after netting a hat-trick. That strike from the Sheffield-born attacker would be the first of a staggering 121 goals for the club.

He would end his debut season with the club on 12 goals from 38 league appearances in 1979/80, making one further appearance in the FA Cup against Rochdale. Ten of his strikes in the campaign came as single efforts, but he did register his first brace for the club in the penultimate game of the campaign as the side beat Northampton Town 3-0 at the Old Show Ground.

He didn't miss a minute of football in the following season, playing every game in league and cup, notching 15 goals in the league and a further strike in the League Cup. The Iron would finish 16th in Division Four.

After two decent seasons with the club, which ended in two mid-table finishes in the division, Cammack would sign for Lincoln City in July 1981 ahead of the new campaign. He would return to the club in the following March and remain at the club until 1986.

He would end the 1981/82 campaign with three goals in 10 appearances for the club before he well and truly hit the ground running in 1982/83. The Iron would be promoted to Division Three, finishing in fourth place and Cammack was one of the many reasons why, chipping in with 25 league goals in 41 appearances.

The campaign would see him notch his first treble for the club, in a 5-1 victory over Northampton Town, while he would also score five braces and 12 singles to catapult United into the next tier.

1983/84 may have ended in immediate relegation back to Division Four, but the striker still managed to net an impressive 18 goals in 39 appearances in a campaign which saw the Iron relegated mainly due to their lack of an away win throughout the entire campaign. A late brace in a 4-0 victory over Burnley had given Scunthorpe hopes of survival with two games remaining, but the side ended with two away games and could only muster up a point. That meant Brentford would survive in 20th with three more points than United.

But for the second game, Cammack would miss the start of the Iron's return to the basement tier. However, he would still manage to get 34 league appearances under his belt in 1984/85. Despite his late start, he almost beat his total from two years prior, notching 24 league goals, including five braces and one hat-trick. The Iron would finish the season in ninth place.

His final full campaign for the club would see him score 12 times in 33 league appearances, missing games between late November and early March. He would then play the first four games of 1986/87 before he signed for Scarborough.

Andy Flounders was one goal short of a century for the Iron.196 league appearances, 6 Play-Off appearances, 13 FA Cup appearances, 14 League Cup appearances, 13 Associate Member Cup appearances

87 league goals, 1 Play-Off goal, 3 FA Cup goals, 6 League Cup goals, 3 Associate Member Cup goals

TOTAL: 242 appearances, 100 goals

Flounders joined the Iron in March of the 1986/87 campaign, leaving his hometown club Hull City. He then wasted no time getting on the scoresheet, notching in his third game for the club in a 2-2 away draw at Torquay United.

He would be among the goals a week later in a 3-2 home victory over Swansea City - and would go onto finish the season on six goals from 15 appearances towards the end of the campaign. Five of those strikes came in Scunthorpe United victories.

His prolific late season form would transfer into the following season and, with United mounting a promotion charge from Division Four, Flounders surged to 24 goals from 45 league appearances and was without doubt the main man in front of goal. So much so, the player with the second most goals for the campaign was Dave Shearer on seven from only 15 appearances. Only three of his strikes ended in an Iron defeat. 

Scunthorpe finished the final campaign at the Old Show Ground in fourth place, meaning a first experience of the play-offs was in order. Flounders had ended the season with a goal against Torquay United in a 2-1 away win, but the scoreline would be reversed against the same opposition in the play-off semi-final first leg - although he did still get on the scoresheet.

A move to Glanford Park for the following campaign saw the club once more mount another promotion charge. Flounders was still among the goals with 16 to his name as an ever present on the teamsheet, pitching in with a further four in the League Cup. That tally was only eclipsed by Tony Daws who had missed most of the previous campaign. Another fourth placed finish and more play-off heartache was to follow.

A further 18 league goals were added to his Scunthorpe United tally in 1989/90 from 44 league appearances along with two more strikes in cup competitions. Strangely though, Flounders wasn't among a nine-goal thriller against Exeter City which ended 5-4, nor an eight-goal thriller against Cambridge United (3-5), but he did provide the strikes in a number of big victories. Despite this, the Iron finished a mid-table 11th for the campaign.

His final campaign at the club again saw him be an ever present number 10, registering a goal every two games with 23 in 46 league appearances. His final hat-trick for the club came in a 6-2 victory over Aldershot at Glanford Park in January 1991 and he would be instrumental in the Iron winning nine points from the final 12 on offer as the team finished eighth in Division Four.

His Iron career century included four trebles and 12 braces. He would move onto Rochdale in July 1991.

Barrie Thomas143 league appearances, 6 FA Cup appearances, 4 League Cup appearances, 0 Associate Member Cup appearances

93 league goals, 3 FA Cup goals, 0 League Cup goals, 0 Associate Member Cup goals

TOTAL: 153 appearances, 96 goals

In terms of league goals, Barrie Thomas would jump ahead of second-placed Andy Flounders, having notched 93 goals in 143 appearances compared to Flounders' 87 strikes in 196 appearances.

Thomas, born in Measham, joined the club in September 1959 from Mansfield Town and would score in his second and third games for the club, against Middlesbrough and Ipswich Town respectively before a five-game spell out of the side. Once he returned, he would enjoy a prolonged spell in the team, only missing the final three games of the campaign. He would end the 1959/60 season with 10 goals in 25 appearances - the club finishing 15th in Division Two.

The following season, he would play all 42 league games and reach an impressive figure of 26 goals. He would also net a hat-trick in the FA Cup in a 6-2 victory over Blackpool. The campaign would end with six braces in the league as the side improved on their position, finishing ninth.

1961/62 would prove to be a season definer, both for Thomas and for the club. His prolific goalscoring reached brand new heights, but his campaign would only see him remain with the club for half of the season. It's not often a player scores more goals than appearances made, but Thomas did just that, finishing on a tally of 31 strikes in just 24 league appearances. That run included six braces and two impressive four-goal performances, one in a 5-1 victory over Plymouth and the other in a 4-1 away win at Leeds United.

The goalscoring heights that he reached up until January had quite rightly attracted attention from teams in Division One but it was perhaps bizarrely fellow Division Two side Newcastle United who acquired his services. They opened their cheque book, however, offering a massive sum of £35,000, plus two of their players in Ken Hodgson and John McGuigan, and that became impossible to refuse. A few crucial defeats in the second half of the season, in the absence of Thomas, would see United finish fourth and just miss out on promotion to Division One. It still remains the club's highest-ever league finish. Newcastle finished the campaign in 11th.

The side were relegated back to Division Three by the time Thomas returned from Newcastle United in November 1964 for a sum of £20,000, still maintaining a decent profit for Scunthorpe.

Thomas wasted no time getting back to double figures for the club, registering 13 goals in 23 appearances during the second half of the 1964/65 campaign. That run included two braces before he even surpassed his own expectations on April 24, 1965.

United welcomed Luton Town to the Old Show Ground and 2,755 witnessed a piece of history. Thomas grabbed five goals and the final score would be a record one of 8-1; a record which has since been equalled, but not surpassed.

His run in the side in 1965/66 would be stagmented, but he still got to double figures in 19 appearances during the campaign. The following season would see him play his last handful of games for the club, reaching 10 appearances and still managing three goals.

He then signed for Barnsley in November 1966.

Hayes pictured in 2009-10.244 league appearances, 5 Play-Off appearances, 14 FA Cup appearances, 8 League Cup appearances, 11 Associate Member Cup appearances

66 league goals, 0 Play-Off goals, 6 FA Cup goals, 4 League Cup goals, 4 Associate Member Cup goals

TOTAL: 282 appearances, 80 goals

In three stints at the club, Hayes got to fourth in the all-time top goalscorer rankings with 80 strikes in all competitions.

That record, of course, included some very memorable goals in the FA Cup against Chelsea and Manchester City. Born in Dagenham, the striker first joined the Iron in 2002 from Norwich City after having his academy contract cancelled in December.

He arrived at Glanford Park on a youth contract and scored his first goal for the club in only his second appearance, the Iron's fourth in the 4-1 home victory over Southend United. The striker would reach eight goals before the end of the campaign and would not score in a United defeat as they collected 17 points from a possible 21 in the games he netted.

The 2003/04 season would be less prolific, however, with just two league goals to his name from 35 appearances. He would score a further five in cup competitions during the campaign, with his only league goals coming in a 3-1 defeat to Lincoln City and 4-0 win over Macclesfield Town.

A season on and Hayes really showed what he was all about. Three summer signings, and an upturn in form for the frontman himself, had evolved a team from nearly dropping out of the Football League, to a side capable of getting promoted from League Two. He was an ever-present in the side, scoring 18 goals in the league along with two in the FA Cup. The second of those, of course, was the famous opener at Stamford Bridge to "put the League Two team ahead against the millionaires" of the Premier League.

A strong finish to the campaign and a promotion for the side saw him sign for Barnsley for the following season and he would immediately return to Glanford Park to haunt his former side. He netted the opener before the Iron would have the last laugh, winning 2-1. He would also feature and score in the 5-2 reverse fixture at Oakwell in December.

Scunthorpe's promotion to the Championship in 2006/07 would set up a return for Hayes quite nicely in the summer, as he joined forces with the likes of Jonathan Forte and Martin Paterson up front. He made 40 league appearances in 2007/08, scoring eight though inevitably, United would return to League One at the first time of asking.

A burning desire to return immediately to the Championship was brewing for the following campaign and the acquisition of Gary Hooper from Southend United would go a long way to establish what would be a 41-goal partnership. The former Norwich City player would help himself to 17 of those in 44 league appearances, including some important strikes en route to the end of season play-offs. He also featured prominently during the side's progress to the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final, but ultimately the goal to return to the Championship had been achieved.

The next mission was to stay there though and the fact the strike partnership of Hayes and Hooper remained in tact meant there was every possibility that would be the case. The partnership would reach 28 goals for the 2009/10 season, of which nine were netted by Hayes, and ultimately the team secured survival for another campaign in English football's second tier. His goals throughout the season were often important and memorable ones - one in a 4-0 victory over Crystal Palace, another in a 3-1 win against Sheffield United and another in a 1-0 win in the reverse fixture at Bramall Lane to name a few.

The forward would also equalise against Manchester City at Glanford Park in the FA Cup fourth round with a volley in front of the travelling contingent.

Both of the front two would depart at the end of that campaign and, while Hooper set his sights on a move to Celtic which brought in a record transfer fee to the club, Hayes would join Preston North End.

He would next be at the club in 2013/14, with United two divisions down from where he left them; League Two. Returning in December after featuring in a practise match, he signed a contract running until the end of the season with the club citing ambitions to return to League One instantly. That was, of course, achieved, with Hayes contributing four league goals, including a brace on his third debut for the club in a 2-0 away win at Mansfield Town.

Hayes would depart the club that summer for Wycombe Wanderers, leaving his goalscoring tally at 80.

Gordon Brown164 league appearances, 13 FA Cup appearances, 0 League Cup appearances, 0 Associate Member Cup appearances

68 league goals, 7 FA Cup goals, 0 League Cup goals, 0 Associate Member Cup goals

TOTAL: 177 appearances, 75 goals

Dubbed as one of the most astute pieces of transfer business in the 1952/53 season, Bill Corkhill lured the then 19-year-old striker from Wolverhampton Wanderers.

He made his debut for the club in March in a 2-1 home victory over Workington and would play each of United's final 10 games of the season, netting four goals and indicating what success was to follow at the Old Show Ground. Brown's maiden strike came in a 2-1 away defeat to Accrington Stanley, while he would also score against Crewe Alexandra, Bradford Park Avenue and Wrexham.

10 goals in 30 league appearances would follow in 1953/54 as the side finished third in Division Three North. That would include a brace in an early season 3-0 victory over York City and further doubles in victories over Bradford Park Avenue and Halifax Town. The Iron would enjoy a lucrative cup run in this campaign, reaching round four including two replays against Portsmouth - the second at Highbury - but Brown would only feature in one of the seven fixtures.

He would be instrumental to progression from round two though, netting the only goal of the game as United beat Bournemouth 1-0 at the Old Show Ground.

After a stuttering season, which saw Brown miss four individual sets of four games throughout the campaign, it was pleasing for him to complete an ever-present campaign in 1954/55, netting an average of one goal in every two games. That, of course, meant he netted 23 in 46, a brilliant return as the Iron mimicked the previous season's league finish of third.

His season would include six braces, but no hat-tricks as United finished just three points off second place - three end of season draws in four games proving to be the difference.

1955/56 would see Brown miss just a handful of encounters to end the campaign with an impressive 21 goals from 40 starts - just bettering his one in two ratio from the previous season. 

That elusive hat-trick did come in this particular campaign, the treble coming in a 4-2 victory over Bradford Park Avenue at the Old Show Ground. He also had two further chances with two braces against Workington (3-1) and Chester (5-3) but would just miss out as United finished the campaign in ninth.

His final campaign with the club would see him add a further 14 goals to his league tally and one more FA Cup goal from three appearances including a first round winner against Rochdale, despite a missed penalty in the same game. His season got off to a blistering start, scoring six goals in his first five games.

Following the end of the campaign, manager Ron Suart received an approach from Derby County for his services - a team newly promoted to Division Two. £5,000 was paid for his services.

234 league appearances, 20 FA Cup appearances, 7 League Cup appearances, 12 Associate Member Cup appearances

59 league goals, 7 FA Cup goals, 3 League Cup goals, 5 Associate Member Cup goals

TOTAL: 273 appearances, 74 goals

The acquisition of Steve Torpey in January of 2000 proved to be money well spent. A then-record fee of £200,000 was paid to Bristol City to bring the striker to Glanford Park, and he would be a massive success in the seven-and-a-half years he would stay at the club. He signed and made his debut at the same time as Brian Quailey, while Mark Jackson was also tempted from Leeds United to sign for the club as Brian Laws looked to stave his side away from immediate relegation back to Division Three.

Torpey's debut came against Cardiff City in a goalless encounter at Glanford Park with his first strike for the club coming two games later as Reading were the visitors. Both he and Quailey would net their maiden goals for the club in the 2-2 draw. It would be his only strike in the 15 appearances he made, as the Iron unfortunately finished 23rd and were relegated.

2000/01 saw Torpey make 40 league appearances in his first full season with the club and he managed double figures. The reason he missed six games though, as Iron fans found out, came from his discipline as he was handed a total of three red cards during this particular campaign. The first, for violent conduct, came away at Leyton Orient before he was dismissed after nine minutes at Blackpool for deliberate handball - a game United would lose 6-0. Despite his tendency to get cautioned or red carded, Torpey netted some important goals in the league to send the Iron on their way to three points. All ten strikes were netted in different games. He'd receive his third red of the season in the final home game of the campaign in a 2-0 defeat to Exeter City and would therefore sit out the opening five games of the following season.

Once he returned to action, he wasted no time getting on the scoresheet, notching the first of 11 goals in a 1-0 home victory against Hartlepool United before a further winner away at Oxford a month later. His first brace for the club had, until November 2001, eluded him before London buses struck and two came in the space of three weeks. His first was a double in a 4-1 triumph over Leyton Orient, while he also scored two in a 7-1 win against Darlington. He even had time for another in late January, while he also chipped in with two goals in the LDV Vans Trophy. Brisbane Road proved to provide another red mist moment though, as he again received his marching orders against Leyton Orient for violent conduct, hence missing the final day of the 2001/02 season and the opening two fixtures of the following campaign.

Following his latest ban, Torpey was eligible to start, and did, at - of all places - Brisbane Road. The Iron would lose 2-0 on the day and, for the first time in three visits, the tall striker remained on the pitch. He would enjoy a run of 26 consecutive league starts for the side from then on, notching ten goals for the team. He was out of the side for 16 games before returning to the line-up as a substitute for the final two as United finished the campaign in fifth place and made the play-offs. Torpey was a used substitute for the 5-3 defeat at Sincil Bank, but started the reverse fixture which saw Scunthorpe lose 1-0 - hence remaining in the league for another year.

2003/04 would pass by without a dismissal, but his customary red returned in the following campaign as violent conduct again saw him depart the pitch early against York City in the 73rd minute. The hard work had been done before though, as the Iron took all three points with a 6-2 win. His early season form had been good up until that point, providing a brace in a 3-2 win at Bury, while also chipping in with goals in 5-2 and 4-1 wins over Cheltenham and Carlisle respectively. Once he returned from his latest ban, the striker would start all games until the end of the season, racking up a total of 43 league appearances, with 11 goals to his name. He netted a further four in cup competitions, including a brace to send Sheffield Wednesday to a replay and one strike in a 3-1 victory over local rivals Hull City in the LDV Vans Trophy. The Iron just evaded relegation out of the Football League, finishing 22nd.

Torpey was unavailable for the opening ten league games of 2004/05, but returned to a side full of confidence and seemingly mounting a promotion charge to League One. His first two goals of the season came in his second and third appearances, netting in a 3-2 defeat at Kidderminster before scoring in another 3-2 scoreline, this time a win against Southend United. His red card of the campaign came just after Christmas, dismissed for violent conduct away at Notts County. Important points were secured through Torpey's strikes, not least a 1-0 win over Swansea City, a brace in a 3-2 home win against Bury and another double against Bristol Rovers at the end of the season. He ended with 12 goals to his name in 29 league appearances as the Iron achieved promotion after finishing second.

Torpey played a staggered role in the team which survived in League One in 2005/06, making a total of 26 league appearances, 10 of which from the bench. He notched one goal in a 2-2 draw against Swansea. There was one flash point in the season too, as he received his marching orders in the last minute of United's local derby tie against Doncaster Rovers after clashing with James Coppinger. Both were dismissed. 

His time at the Iron was drawing to a close throughout the 2006/07 season and, while he only made four starts and 10 substitute appearances, he still was on hand to put in some good performances en route to United winning the title. He came off the bench on the opening day at Bristol City, but would receive his eighth and final red card of his Scunthorpe United tenure - receiving a four-match ban. He also chipped in with one goal - a match-winner away at Millwall. His final game saw him picked to start against Carlisle United, the last match of the season, for the first time in 22 league games. He would receive a standing ovation when replaced on the hour mark, signalling the end of his time with the club. He signed for League Two side Lincoln City following his departure.

Tony Daws183 league appearances, 9 Play-Off appearances, 9 FA Cup appearances, 16 League Cup appearances, 15 Associate Member Cup appearances

63 league goals, 1 Play-Off goals, 2 FA Cup goals, 4 League Cup goals, 2 Associate Member Cup goals

TOTAL: 232 appearances, 72 goals

Along with Andy Flounders, Tony Daws was a goalscorer who transferred his form in front of goal to the Iron's new home of Glanford Park, following three goals in 10 appearances in United's final campaign at the Old Show Ground.

He'd make a further two appearances in the play-offs against Torquay United but ultimately the side remained in Division Four. All three of his goals in the campaign came in two days. The first, New Year's Day of 1988, saw him net a brace in a 3-0 away victory over Colchester United before on day later he scored in a 3-2 home victory over Cambridge United.

Signed from Sheffield United, Daws came into his own as the Iron moved to Glanford Park, netting 24 goals in an ever-present league campaign with three further strikes in the League Cup. He netted the team's second goal at the new home, following up Dave Cowling's effort in a 3-1 victory over Hereford United. Of Daws' 24 goals, he only scored in one Iron defeat and had to wait for his hat-trick until the end of the campaign when he registered a treble in a 5-1 home victory over Darlington. That would be United's record victory at their new stadium until midway through the following season when the side would net five without reply. The Iron finished fourth again, and missed out in the play-offs.

Daws missed the start of the 1989/90 season, but still tallied 11 goals in 33 league appearances as the side finished 11th in Division Four. One of his more memorable goals during the season was at Burnley. After the Iron had drawn 2-2 at Glanford Park, United then earned a second replay following a 1-1 draw at Turf Moor - with Daws netting the effort, despite the dismissal of Andy Stevenson for two yellow cards. The second replay was again in Burnley, but this time it was the hosts who progressed, winning 5-0.

1990/91 saw Daws pitch in with another 14 league goals in 34 appearances including a winner in a 3-2 triumph over Doncaster Rovers and the opener in the last home game of the season against Wrexham, with United winning 2-0. The campaign would end, however, with a 5-0 away defeat and an eighth place finish in the league.

A further seven strikes were added to his league tally as United reached the play-offs once more in 1991/92 following a fifth-placed finish. This time though, the Iron reached Wembley, with Daws netting in the 1-1 draw. The Iron ultimately lost 4-3 on penalties and remained in Division Four.

His final campaign as a player for the club saw him tally a final five league goals in 24 appearances. Two of those would be penalties and three of them in high-scoring draws before he departed for Grimsby Town in March 1993.

Jack Haigh

329 league appearances, 31 FA Cup appearances, 0 League Cup appearances, 0 Associate Member Cup appearances

66 league goals, 5 FA Cup goals, 0 League Cup goals, 0 Associate Member Cup goals

TOTAL: 360 appearances, 71 goals

Jack Haigh arrived at the Old Show Ground in August 1952 after signing from Liverpool and was a loyal player for the club in a seven-year stay.

He was arguably the most notable acquisition of the summer, with the tall attacking midfielder finding opportunities limited at Anfield with a lot of talent ahead of him. Scunthorpe, therefore, provided him a platform to show what he was capable of and he became a firm fans' favourite to many.

His first campaign at the Iron saw him play every game on offer, making 46 appearances in the league, netting 13 goals. His first strike was the fifth in a 5-1 win over Rochdale at the Old Show Ground and only one of his efforts would come in a defeat. The season did, however, provide one down day - a club record 8-0 defeat away at Carlisle United, a record which still stands today. The Iron ended the campaign in 15th position in Division Three North and they had a decent cup campaign, sending Sunderland to a replay in round three after a 1-1 draw at Roker Park.

Haigh would only miss three league games in the entirety of the following season too, reaching double figures for goals in the league. He also helped himself to a hat-trick in a 9-0 FA Cup round one win over Boston United too - playing in each of the seven games which saw United eclipse the cup run of the year before. A replay was required to overhaul Wrexham in round three after a slender victory over Rochdale in round two. Portsmouth were the opponents in round four, with two replays played before Pompey went through. Haigh netted three in three as the Iron surged for promotion in the latter stages with five wins in a row - including a 6-0 win over Barnsley - but a final day 1-1 draw against mid-table Tranmere Rovers proved to be the stumbling block. United finished the campaign in third, one point behind second-placed Barnsley - a team they'd done the double over in the space of three days; 7-0 on aggregate.

That late season heartache spurred the team on in the following campaign but, after an ever present start to the season between August and January, Haigh missed the rest of the campaign through injury - apart from one game in mid-March which proved he wasn't fit. He ended the campaign with six goals from 28 league appearances.

Fit again for the 1955/56 campaign, Haigh only missed three games all season, two of which were in the league. He'd chip in with eight goals for the team, but despite two successive third place finishes, the Iron dropped down to ninth for the campaign. The FA Cup run would again be the main memory from the campaign, with a fourth round visit to Anfield scheduled after progression from round three.The Iron would also earn a replay, drawing 3-3 on the day before narrowly exiting the competition after extra time at the Old Show Ground, losing 2-1.

The attacking midfielder only missed one game in each of the two successive seasons, netting nine and ten goals respectively throughout the campaigns. United would finish in 14th in 1956/57 before mounting a brilliant promotion push in the following year. Scunthorpe would walk the league as Champions of Division Three North, finishing on 66 points and seven points ahead of Accrington Stanley in second - some feat considering only two points were awarded for a win at the time.

Haigh made double figures in that season, which would be the Iron's first of many promotions since being admitted to the league in 1950. It was also the campaign in which the side would experience their greatest FA Cup run to date, reaching round five. Liverpool would again be the stumbling block for the second time in three years, but that was following a famous 3-1 win against Newcastle at St. James' Park.

United had achieved their first promotion in the league and were now in Division Two, with Haigh more than stepping up to the mark to provide the added quality required to remain there. He made 40 appearances, netting a further four goals to his tally, with a further appearance in the FA Cup as Scunthorpe received a bye to the third round stage for the very first time. The side remained in the league, finishing 18th.

Haigh stayed at the club for one final campaign as the side improved on their position to finish 15th in 1959/60. He notched a final six goals for the club, totalling another 38 league games.

Aged 31, turning 32, the midfielder signed for Doncaster Rovers ahead of the 1960/61 season, ending with an impressive 71 goals in 360 appearances.

Jack / John Gregory

147 league appearances, 18 FA Cup appearances, 0 League Cup appearances, 0 Associate Member Cup appearances

63 league goals, 6 FA Cup goals, 0 League Cup goals, 0 Associate Member Cup goals

TOTAL: 165 appearances, 69 goals

In a close season which saw the Iron add to their forward line, Londoner Jack Gregory was among those to make the move from one claret and blue to another, following his release from West Ham United.

He proved to be a revelation for the club in his four-year stay, making the current top ten all-time goalscorers in timely fashion - with only Barrie Thomas reaching a higher figure in fewer appearances.

During his time with the club, Jack had a son called John - who would go onto represent England and manage the likes of Aston Villa, Derby County, QPR and most recently Crawley Town after a two year stint managing abroad.

Jack immediately got on the goalscoring trail, netting on his league debut for the club and handing United their first two points of the campaign; beating local rivals Grimsby Town 1-0 at Blundell Park. It was the first of 16 league strikes in his debut season for the club, in 39 appearances. He pitched in with some important goals over the campaign, which started with that strike against the Mariners. He also notched a brace in a 2-1 away win at Barrow before securing his first Scunthorpe United hat-trick in a 3-1 home triumph against Tranmere Rovers. Two further goals were also netted in the FA Cup en route to three fourth round ties against Portsmouth.

After a third placed finish in Division Three North - the Iron's best so far since admittance to the league - they managed the same feat twelve months later in 1954/55. The front two of Gordon Brown and Jack Gregory would net 45 goals between them - 22 of which fell to Gregory, who played in 44 league matches. Both ended the campaign boasting a one-in-two goals record. Gregory's second Scunthorpe United treble soon came after the campaign commenced, as he netted all of his side's goals in a 3-2 victory over York City. Of his other 19 strikes in the season, he netted one brace in a 6-1 win over Oldham Athletic along with doubles from Gordon Brown and Jack Hubbard.

1955/56 brought more success for the double act of Brown and Gregory as they totalled 41 goals between them in 85 appearances. Gregory was again just short of the tally that his strike partner tallied as he notched 20 goals in 45 appearances. The Iron's goalscoring tallies were very similar from the two seasons previous. However, the goals conceded column for the campaign was larger than normal, hence a drop in the side's league table finish of ninth. A couple of encounters saw United score two or three, but they'd concede four or five and that was evident in the results column with four 3-2 defeats and a 4-3 loss, amongst others. 

Gregory's highlight of the campaign, other than reaching 20 goals once more, was his strike against Liverpool at Anfield. He, along with a brace from John Davies, sent the tie to a replay at the Old Show Ground in round four of the FA Cup.

His final year at the club saw him tally just 19 appearances in Division Three North with five goals netted. He'd get a further two in the 6-2 FA Cup defeat against Wrexham. The Iron were on their way to finishing 14th in the league, but Jack would depart the club in January to be nearer his family roots and therefore signed for Aldershot Town, with Ronnie Waldock signed as his replacement from Sheffield United.

167 league appearances, 2 Play-Off Appearances, 12 FA Cup appearances, 5 League Cup appearances, 12 Associate Member Cup appearances

52 league goals, 0 Play-Offs goals, 4 FA Cup goals, 3 League Cup goals, 1 Associate Member Cup goals

Total - 196 appearances, 60 goals

Irish striker Paddy Madden is the latest inductee into the top ten all-time Scunthorpe United goalscorers as his brace in a 4-0 away victory over Plymouth Argyle saw him equal and surpass the record of John Eyre.

Madden joined the club from Yeovil Town in January 2014, with the Glovers strong relegation candidates from the Championship, while the Iron were strong promotion candidates from League Two. Both would inevitably meet each other in the same division a matter of months later in the succeeding campaign.

The striker's arrival at Glanford Park bolstered the already strong forward line including the likes of Sam Winnall, Paul Hayes, Chris Iwelumo and Deon Burton, who had all found the net on a number of occasions throughout the season so far. 

Joining the Iron on a two-and-a-half-year contract, his first goal for the club came as he netted in the Iron's 5-1 victory over Portsmouth at the end of February. It was his seventh appearance for the club and his third start. Madden would net a further four goals in the 2013-14 campaign for Scunthorpe. The pick of the goals would be a thumping volley against Burton Albion at Glanford Park which would prove to be the winner, while his other three strikes all came in 2-2 draws.

The 2014-15 season would begin with a goal for Madden but an Iron defeat at Swindon Town, while his next effort would see him notch at his former stomping ground - Huish Park. He would score a total of 17 goals in the campaign as United finished League One in 16th position; six points from safety.

His most successful campaign in claret and blue to date would come in the following campaign, where he would total 23 goals in 52 appearances in all competitions, finishing the club's top goalscorer for the second season in succession. 

On the eve of 2015-16 getting underway, he'd pen a brand new three-year deal with the club, which set him on the way to more success as an Iron player. Amongst the strikes would be some important ones - a brace in a 2-0 win over Crewe Alexandra, the match-winning efforts at home to Coventry City, Fleetwood Town, Southend United and Port Vale, while he was also the hero on Boxing Day at Doncaster Rovers as he netted the only goal of the game. Scunthorpe finished the season outside of the top six on goal difference, which was a marked improvement both in terms of the league standings and Madden's personal goal tally.

In two-and-a-half years at the club up until that point, Madden totalled 45 strikes and was already closing in on both a half-century and the top ten list.

The start to the Irishman's 2016-17 campaign was blighted by injury in pre-season and as a result he missed the opening fixtures of the League One campaign, only returning at the end of August.

His first league start of the season resulted in his first goal as the Iron put Southend United to the sword at Glanford Park in a 4-0 win while an inspired substitution to bring him on in the 61st minute saw the side come from 1-0 down to beat Milton Keynes Dons 2-1 in October. He would also get a first-half brace in a comprehensive first half display against Swindon Town. Two goal would also follow against Millwall just before Christmas for Madden as he took his tally to seven for the season.

The Irishman would notch just four more goals in the second half of the season, first in a 1-1 draw against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane before scoring his final three in as many games in March against Gillingham, Rochdale and Oxford United respectively. The end of the campaign saw him finish with 11 strikes, totalling 56 in Scunthorpe colours and just three off Eyre's tally.

An early-season double in the Carabao Cup against Notts County brought Madden to 58 goals as he struck home a penalty and a through ball in the 3-3 draw that United would eventually win on penalties, with his admission into the top ten now inevitable.

He would equal and exceed the 59-goal target in one further game as he registered his first two league goals of the season away at Plymouth. His first goal would see him latch onto a low cross from Josh Morris. The initial effort would cannon off the crossbar before his header then trickled over the line. He then dove into the top ten with a diving header from Duane Holmes' cross, bringing him to 60 goals for Scunthorpe with his next target John Gregory in ninth spot with 69 goals.

That brace away at Home Park would prove to be his final two strikes in claret and blue as he departed for Fleetwood Town on January 2, 2018.

173 league appearances, 2 Play-Off appearances, 12 FA Cup appearances, 9 League Cup appearances, 6 Associate Member Cup appearances

51 league goals, 0 Play-Off goals, 3 FA Cup goals, 2 League Cup goals, 3 Associate Member Cup goals

TOTAL: 202 appearances, 59 goals

John Eyre originally arrived at Glanford Park on loan from Oldham Athletic in 1994 - a day after a narrow 2-1 FA Cup home defeat to Birmingham City.

The Hull-born player was 20-years-old at the time and came with bags of pace and accuracy, with him making a massive impression on the club in his two-month spell at the club. 

He made his debut in the number 10 shirt as a striker away at Northampton Town, with the Iron winning thanks to a goal from Alan Knill. He would net his maiden United strike in the next match, his first of 59. The goal came against local rivals Lincoln City and confirmed the three points as Scunthorpe doubled their advantage.

The acquisition of Stuart Young from Scarborough saw the two create a nifty partnership which allowed Eyre to net a total of seven goals in eight matches. He'd net two in a 3-0 success over Exeter before getting the Iron's second and third in the final game of his loan spell against Colchester United. He would soon be substituted off to a standing ovation, yet the team threw away the lead and eventually lost 4-3.

On returning to the Latics, Eyre had limited opportunities and therefore entered into a pre-contractual agreement with Dave Moore to return to the club in the summer after being guaranteed first team football.

Eyre would be the first man to be featured on the electronic scoreboard in 1995/96 when he netted a 36th minute opener at Glanford Park, despite an opening day 2-1 defeat against Cambridge United. He popped up with a total of ten goals for the side in Division Three in the campaign, aiding the club to a 12th placed finish after appearing 39 times. Two of those goals culminated in a club record-equalling 8-1 away victory at Torquay United in October 1995, while he'd also net four goals in cup competitions. 

Eight goals would follow in the 1996/97 campaign from 42 league appearances with all of his effort single strikes across eight separate games. The Iron would finish one place lower than the previous season.

He reached double figures though the following year, with two more goals in the same number of league appearances. That included a brace in a 2-1 win over Chester City, in which one was a penalty, and another double in a 3-1 away win at Rotherham United. United improved to eighth in the league table, while he'd also score two penalties in a Associate Members Cup win over Chester City.

Eyre managed his best scoring season with the Iron in his final campaign with the club in 1998/99, scoring important goals en route to play-off success. He'd net 15 league goals in 41 league appearances and it included his first and only hat-trick for the club against Brighton & Hove Albion in a 3-1 win. He ended the campaign with match-winning efforts against Hull City and Barnet as the Iron made it to the play-offs, ultimately winning promotion at Wembley.

After 59 goals in 202 appearances over five years, his time at the club came to an end, transferring to local rivals Hull City in 1999.

When Scunthorpe United supporters talk about the club's great goalscorers, they proudly recall the prolofica achievements of the likes of Barrie Thomas, Steve Cammack and Andy Flounders, writes John Staff.

It goes without saying that men of their calibre served the side well and have a respected place in United's Hall of Fame for the records they have set.

However, none of them were able to match the exploits of the club's all-time leading goalscorer Harry Johnson.

The name will be less familiar to the majority of United fans today because his goalscoring feats were accomplished, in the main, before the Second World War. His career was interrupted because of the hostilities and United were unable to get the most out of his talents as football was suspended for the duration of the War.

Harry joined United from Rochdale in 1937 and it was soon evident that he had a real eye for goal. He netted twice on his debut for the Knuts (as Scunthorpe were known at the time) in a 5-0 win over Denaby and while accepting that Denaby may not have been the strongest of sides at the time, no one should write off United's Midland League opposition, which comprised of a number of reserve teams from clubs in the old First and Second Divisions of the Football League.

It was not unusual to see the odd former international turning out at the Old Show Ground in Midland League matches.

Johnson was soon leading Scunthorpe's attack and demonstrating that he could convert goals with both his head and his feet. He was a rugged type of player, but certainly didn't lack speed, and he was never afraid to have a shot at goal. On the other hand, he was not considered to be a greedy player.

If Harry did have an advantage, it was that he played at a time when the emphasis was on attack and defences were less organised. At the end of Harry's first season with United, he had scored 37 goals, a creditable achievement but some way short of Ernie Simms' record of 52 goals in a season. His total included hat-tricks against Lincoln City Reserves, Newark, Bradford City Reserves and Hull City Reserves.

If Harry's contribution during the 1937-38 season was considered 'reasonable', then the following season, in which United lifted the Midland League championship for the second time, it was astonishing.

In the league, he scored exactly 50 goals, which included three hat-tricks, a four goal salvo against Doncaster Rovers Reserves, five versis Newark and an incredible six against Denaby.

His FA Cup haul was equally remarkable - 15 goals in just six games, including five on two occasions against Barton Town and Lysaghts Sports in the qualifying rounds.

Goalscoring of that quality hekped United to some very high scores as they swept all before them. Given full-time training, United would surely have made an impact on the Division Three North had they been elected to the Football League.

People would travel from miles around on a matchday to watch Johnson in action and often it was not a case of if he would score, but how many. Including the Lincolnshire Senior League, a first team competition of that time, Johnson scored 69 goals in total during the 1938-39 season.

Sadly, the Second World War halted Johnson in his tracks, although he did continue to score goals in the hastily arranged friendly competitions during 1939-40.

When the Midland League resumed in August 1945, Johnson was six years older and although he continued to make a contribution, it was expecting too much for him to pick up where he left off during United's championship winning season.

Harry played on for a couple more seasons before retiring, after which he took up scouting work for United.

After his footballing days came to an end, Harry worked at the steelworks and for a number of years held the position of Suggestions Officwer. He died shortly after his retirement in the early 1970s.

Half Century Club

56 goals

82 league appearances, 7 FA Cup appearances, 4 League Cup appearances, 2 Associate Member Cup appearances.

53 league goals, 1 FA Cup goals, 1 League Cup goals, 1 Associate Member Cup goals

Total - 95 appearances, 56 goals

53 goals

597 league appearances (excluding Midland League), 56 FA Cup appearances, 10 League Cup appearances, 0 Associate Member Cup appearances

50 league goals, 3 FA Cup goals, 0 League Cup goals, 0 Associate Member Cup goals

Total - 653 appearances, 53 goals (52 penalties)

52 goals

176 league appearances, 20 FA Cup appearances, 8 League Cup appearances, 0 Associate Member Cup appearances

49 league goals, 3 FA Cup goals, 0 League Cup goals, 0 Associate Member Cup goals

Total - 204 appearances, 52 goals

50 goals

81 league appearances, 4 FA Cup appearances, 4 League Cup appearances, 6 Associate Member Cup appearances

43 league goals, 4 FA Cup goals, 1 League Cup goals, 2 Associate Member Cup appearances

Total - 95 appearances, 50 goals

While every care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of all statistics, the numbers may be subject to minor inaccuracies where information has been previously recorded incorrectly. If you know of an inaccuracy with the data provided, please contact

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account